News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ccs.. THANK YOU for 5 lap ROC sprint races.

Started by MELK-MAN, October 29, 2012, 01:18:34 PM

MELK-MAN

Just wanted to say thanks for putting the ccs sprint races back to 5 laps. The faster riders on Michelin tires (and other brands but i don't need to say which ones) could at least "hang in there" till the end of these typical length races at this facility. I love racing at Daytona, but even one more lap woulda made it pretty much a pure waste of time and money to be out there if you are running toward the front.

I know many would like to see longer races, but please understand that this is a place to showcase and shoot for a national title. Unless you are on "that brand" that makes a tire designed for Daytona, the faster riders not on "that brand" are kind of screwed.. and at 2:00 a lap for many, it's as long as typical sprints at some other facilities. :)
thanks

greg melka.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Tdub

Did you know that when AMA was there, several tire options were just plain old GPs???

apriliaman

I had no problems with my Bridgestone's,maybe cause my bike only does 2:05 they still look almost new to me.I only had a problem with the oil temp on my bike was too hot and it lost power.oil temps were 150C range normal 130C.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Tdub on October 29, 2012, 11:03:50 PM
Did you know that when AMA was there, several tire options were just plain old GPs???

it was evident that Dunlop allowed some other tire or made some changes. the guys I was up against did not just use the super hard daytona tire like they did last year. last year, i would easily drive around some very talented riders in the first few corners if i didn't get the holeshot, and be way ahead after the first lap.. but they would catch up as my tire would have issues just left of the center of the tire from the banking. Made turn 1 interesting..  this year it was different. those guys on Dunlops could push harder early on even though my lap times were better than last year. Still doubt those were as sticky as a full on sprint tire (whatever model that would be for dunlop, i don't know those tires), but they made some adjustments for the shorter races or something.

I talked with some guys that brought some ntec take offs to run as they didn't want me taking off and leaving early again.. but they blistered those quickly in practice. So i am not sure what they used, but it was NOT the same tire they used last year in my opinion.

Hey Mark, not sure about oil temp on my bikes.. dont' have a way to check but coolant temps were good. wish you could have beat Mavros in at least one race! lol

Gino230

I used the regular GPA in Med+ compound on my LW bike, they look new but the heat is what kills the tire at Daytona. We were using the higher pressures recommended by Dunlop and also used nitrogen as recommended. Plenty of grip. I was running 2:05's as well, and I did have oil temp problems. I seem to think it's the design of the 999 bodywork I am running. Mark, on your SS you must have the factory air dams attached to direct air onto the rear cylinder. Also make sure the front where the air scoops would be has been opened up. I'm running the expensive oil (motorex) for this exact reason. I'm working on some ram air tubes to direct air to the rear cylinder and I've invested in a 999 oil cooler (e bay $59). I also overfilled the oil slightly, that brought the temp down a little.

On the 749 I ran the regular US made N-tec in practice and chunked the rear in 5 laps. I put the Daytona slicks on, the front was actually a UK made medium compound N-tec, the rear was a UK made Daytona tire. Definitely less drive grip on the left side but the right seemed just like a regular tire. I'm not the fastest guy but for reference I did some 1:59 laps on this bike.

It's funny, I was pretty scared of the Daytona tire, but I don't really get what everyone else is complaining about...sure, it's harder on one side, but it's the same for everyone. Either that or go buy a 5 lap tire. I think as Greg says, 5 laps is a good distance for a sprint. ASRA Thunderbike was a 7 lap race, and I'm pretty sure the outcome would have been the same after 5 laps.

CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

Gino.. i have a feeling had you tried the Michelin tire, not the US dunlop ntec, you would have won some races. Seriously. NO issue with grip. In fact the "A" rear is pretty much velcro on the first couple laps. And considering you were 2:00 and up with less hp, and a twin that is easier on a rear tire.. no way would you have chunked the tire as i did. Tellin ya, you woulda WON races.You say "same or everyone".. well, no, it's not, if you run a different brand tire. :)

proechel539

Darrell Proechel
CCS Ex # 76
02 SV-650, 06 GSXR750
proechel1@comcast.net