News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My CCS vs WERA thoughts

Started by supercarl, August 29, 2012, 04:18:53 PM

supercarl

So this last weekend I decided to race a WERA event at nelson ledges before the last CCS round at Blackhawk. It was interesting to see how the two race organizations differed and I just wanted to share my thoughts between the two and see what you guys think as well.

First thought...CCS kicks WERA's butt when it comes to transponders. CCS transponder = $80, never have to charge. WERA transponder =$425 have to charge every 3-4 days. Point CCS.

2nd thought... Finished racing early on saturday. WERA director buys beer for everyone at the track!!! How awesome is that?? CCS should take some notes  :cheers: Point WERA

3rd thought: CCS is slightly cheaper for race fees. Point CCS

4th: CCS offers more races. Point CCS

5th: CCS has better plaques but wera's first place trophy is cooler (even tho some asembly required). TIE

6th: WERA  doesnt race Blackhawk 4 times in a row (nothing against BFR) Point WERA.

7th: CCS website is better. Point CCS

8th: CCS Offers more contingency. Point CCS

9th: All wera officials have matching pit shirts. CCS not so much. Point WERA

10th: Both race organizations are a ton of fun with great people! one point each!

Current Score: CCS 6 WERA 4

These are just things I noticed. Gonna have to say I like CCS more, but I think both organizations can take some improvements away from the other for better racing for everyone. What does everyone else think?

Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

supercarl

Oh yea one more thing to add... WERA tech was a major headache. I like CCS Tech much better :D
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

LWT Racer

Quote from: supercarl on August 29, 2012, 04:21:07 PM
Oh yea one more thing to add... WERA tech was a major headache. I like CCS Tech much better :D

Carrying all your gear and belly pan to tech is more of a headache then what is needed in WERA ( wera does requires more saftey wire tho ).  I prefer CCS over WERA
Sam Wiest #60
TWF Racing | LWT Racer
Lighweight Racing - The struggle is real.

SVbadguy

CCS = bigger grids, at least in the Mid-Atlantic

I did my first races with WERA earlier this month, only because I needed another 'event' in order to be qualified to do the IOM TT next year.  I thought the paddock was quite empty during the CCS event there in June compared to past years, but WERA made took it to another level of empty.  I was really surprised since the SE seems to be where WERA is the most popular.

Something else to keep in mind is that a lot varies between regions with each org.  I'm pretty sure CCS's Mid-Atlantic/Atlantic/SE crews are all usually wearing CCS shirts.

My tech experience with WERA really wasn't any different.  Tech at the Isle of Man is very involved, club racing tech is a breeze in comparison.

Don't count on a WERA Mid-Atlantic race director buying beer for anyone. 

I also have a behind the scenes sort of perspective with each org, CCS is easier to work with.

gs750t

If you post this up on the WERA board.  Mongo will zilch it in 10 seconds!!!

Turboblew

I find that folks that complain about WERA tech and its stringent requirements are usually lazy about machine prep and have never experienced a serious mechanical failure.

Super Dave

Quote from: Turboblew on August 29, 2012, 09:45:44 PM
I find that folks that complain about WERA tech and its stringent requirements are usually lazy about machine prep and have never experienced a serious mechanical failure.
Yeah, agreed.  Same goes for CRA tech too. 
Super Dave

supercarl

Quote from: Turboblew on August 29, 2012, 09:45:44 PM

I'm not lazy about bike prep at all. I'm just not a fan of taking belly pan off, carrying leathers and gloves to tech, and all the extra safety wire that I have to take off/put on each tire change. I think that CCS tech requirements are adequete eneough.

Quote from: gs750t on August 29, 2012, 09:12:32 PM
If you post this up on the WERA board.  Mongo will zilch it in 10 seconds!!!

Yea thats why I posted it here :D

Also noticed bigger grids with CCS too, but as you guys mentioned I'm sure alot of stuff vary's with region. These are just my experiences in the Midwest.

leeroy996

Interesting; I was thinking about trying some Wera races to see what they are about.  I'm mostly Florida CCS.
Henry and the Florida crew run a great show and they do everything they can to make the weekend a lot of fun.
grids are big as well

supercarl

I would say try it out! My WERA races were alot of fun. Although I prefer CCS, WERA is still a great racing program. If you do try it out, let us know what you think of it!

Buell487

Quote from: supercarl on August 29, 2012, 04:18:53 PM
6th: WERA  doesnt race Blackhawk 4 times in a row (nothing against BFR) Point WERA.

I'm with you on this one.  Blackhawk is great and is probably my favorite track but some variety in the Midwest series would be nice.  Maybe mix in a round at MAM or Brainerd.  Being from MN I'd love a round or two at Brainerd.  The new short course is really fun and I'm sure there would be a lot of CRA guys there that would make for some pretty big grid numbers.
CCS Midwest #111 AM

twilkinson3

The thing with the midwest rounds is the drive time to anything not RA and BFR for the bulk of hte CCS race population - don't get me wrong I'd love to see more tracks on the schedule in the midwest...would I drive 10 hours one way to visit them however?...maybe, maybe not which is why I think we have RA and BFR (mostly BFR) for midwest CCS races...draws 2 major population zone with Chicago and Milwaukee/Madison