News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What to expect

Started by merrypaws, July 18, 2012, 10:55:50 AM

merrypaws

Hey everyone,
Here's a weird question for you... ;)
My BF has (very) recently gotten into sportbike racing and I plan on taking him to NJMP on Sept 2 for the CCS race for his birthday (as a spectator).  How does the race work?  Are they long, are there heats, can we see a decent section of the track, etc?  I have no clue about racing (YET) so I am hoping this would make a decent birthday surprise.  Are people allowed near the bike pit to check things out or are we far removed from anything cool? He would definitely flip if I was able to get him up close to see some amazing mechanics and then I would be cool.  8)   haha  Anyway, really just curious what I can expect when going to a CCS race as a spectator.  Thanks!

supercarl

Ive never been to NJMP so I cant tell you much about the track, but Ive been to alot of CCS races and can help you out on most of your questions. Usually the sprint races are about 15 min long. You can find schedules of all the races on the CCS website. Just go to the clander and click the event on the day you plan to go. They dont really have "heats" per sey, they just have multiple races of different classes. You are allowed to walk the pits and check out all the bikes. Everyone is friendly and would most likely be happy to talk to anyone interested. And like I said, I havent been to NJMP but most tracks have lots of viewing areas so you can watch multiple corners.

Im sure you guys will have a great time. the races are definitly fun to watch. I watched a few races myself before I got really into the sport. Hope this helps ya!
Super Carl Soltisz #620 facebook.com/supercracing
Sponsors: Michelin, Sportbike Tire Service, TSE, Nexx WrecksNRestorations, Vortex, Moto-D, Pop Shadow, Galfer, Spy, Armor Bodies, GoPro, Sidi, AGV Sport, MotoNation, Hindle, Motion Pro, Zero Gravity, Bernat PC, GP Tech, & All Balls Racing

Burt Munro

Merrypaws, you are hereby on record as one of the Top 10 coolest girlfriends on the planet!

I'm sure you'll get some responses from folks on the best spots at NJMP for spectating. As mentioned, the Pit areas are wide open for up close viewing and conversation. 99% of the people will be thrilled to chat with you guys about their bikes and racing.  This is all about friendly competition and you'll find everything from riders who are doing this for the first time to guys who have been racing almost as long as they've been alive.

The race schedule is pretty intense with very little time when bikes aren't on the track.  As mentioned, the majority of the races are sprints - about 15 min long. Some of the riders may race 5 or 6 times a day (or more if they have multiple bikes for different classes) and some guys only race once or twice a day.

One thing you won't find are huge crowds. For the most part racing at this level doesn't get advertised very much to attract spectators. You should be able to get around the track easily.

Did I mention I think you're one of the coolest girlfriends ever ?!?! :-)
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

merrypaws

Supercarl, thanks for the info.  Glad to hear we can see the bikes, that will definitely be a highlight.
Burt, haha thanks for the compliment. I try. When he was away one weekend I went and took a class to get my motorcycle license so I could ride with him.  However, I am still waiting for him to buy me a bike. You know, giving AND receiving.  :biggrin:  LOL j/k!
Thanks a bunch for the scoop on the races.  If anyone else has any inside tips on NJMP, that would be great.  It sounds like more fun than I expected.  Looking forward to it!  Thanks!!

brendan113

Hey merrypaws,
The ccs pit area is definately very laid back and people are all very friendly.Walk up to anyone with a comment,question, or just to hang out and you'll meet some great people. Also spending the night is always fun, bring a tent,a bbq and some beers.( They also have rooms for rent right on the front straightaway) It's also common to bring bicycles or mini bikes to travel around the track.There are many viewing areas and there spaced out a good distance..(All viewing diffrent sections of the track) Other things like an umbrella are not needed but can make your day more comfortable when its real hot. You can view some videos of the paddock area on youtube. (at the beggining of some videos on racers bikes).

clarustnb

Just some NJMP specific info:  That weekend is an ASRA / USGRPU / CCS weekend.  Essentially there are three seperate [but friendly together] race organizations that have races.  They will each have their own races listed on the schedule.

My personal favorite spot to spectate is in the bleachers to the right of the bridge before you enter the track. [on the outside of 11a]  The Inside of turn 6 is another great one and the inside of T1 is never to be missed. 

http://www.njmp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Thunderbolt-Map1.jpg

CCS is good and laid back as mentioned above a few times.  Come to the rider's meeting if you want to, it helps set the mood and you can get a feel for any changes that may happen to the schedule.  Lap Times and official race results are posted inside in the registration building which are good to take a look at.  Just in case you haven't found the official schedule too:

http://ccsracing.us/venues/newjersey.html
Benjamin Loyle
SV650 # 909
http://loyle.lwtracer.com/

brendan113

quote;;My personal favorite spot to spectate is in the bleachers to the right of the bridge before you enter the track. [on the outside of 11a]

Waching the grid take off is my favorite, but 11a is my favorite spot to stay and watch. In the longer races i'll always watch the grid from the villas then me and my fiance/pit crew  :thumb: will rush off to 11a on the mini bike.
God i love race days!

Cowboy 6

If you are located close enough, Summit Point, WV is a better spectator track. It's cheaper too! You can bring a tent (there are wooded camp sites with grill facilities) or sleep in your vehicle. No charge for either method.

As stated before, either place, you will be welcome in the pits, no special pass required.
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

brendan113

+1 on Summit point being better for spectating.

LoneStar

NJMP is great for spectating.  You can easily get to most areas of the track to watch.  I think the only area you will have to watch from a distance is the mid-section of the track (Turns 7 to 9ish) unless you go back over the bridge to view from the back of the townhouses located near that portion of the track.  Otherwise, you can see large portions of the track from different bleachers without leaving the interior of the track.  At Summit, you can view pretty much every part of the track, but you have to go to that spot because it has a lot of wooded areas that block the view of the track.  So to me, I personally like NJMP a little better for these reasons.

My favorite place to spectate at NJMP as the other posters mentioned is in the T4 bleachers.  Get at the top and you can see quite a bit of the track and there is good passing action at that corner.

The bleachers at the chicane (near snack bar/food service area) and end of the straight, the tower (climb about 4 flights of stairs but great view -- bring binoculars if you have), or from the landing outside of the Paddock-side suites if you don't want to climb the tower stairs offers a great view of the front straight and the back corners if you go to the far end of the landing.  You can also go to the bridge that goes over the track and to and from the paddock to get a great view of the back straight and the riders going onto the front straight.  Just be careful up there since there is car traffic coming in and out.  There is a grassy hill you can pull onto out of the way of traffic there.

We're all just regular guys and gals like your boyfriend.  You can poke your head into any garage or under any tent and ask questions.  It'll be obvious if they are rushing, as we often do, to get ourself together to get to the grid on time.  But the majority of the time we are sitting around waiting or prep'ing the bike for our next event.

If you are riding your motorcycle, then that's a great way to get around the track to the different corners.  If you decide to drive, then bring bicycles or some other light form of transport that you can get between the spectating spots.
Enjoy!
CCS AM #134 - Ducati 848 - www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2012 CCS Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
2012 CCS Summit Point SuperTwins AM Track Champion

merrypaws

Awesome tips, guys.  Thanks!!