News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Clip Style Master link on a race bike.

Started by Falco, May 01, 2012, 11:45:48 AM

Falco

I have a question for all of you season guys out there. 
As I am ready for Road America, I have decided to change the gearing on the Daytona 675 and discovered that with the new gearing my chain is too long.  I bought a new chain and it came with a rivet style and clip style master link. 
Through a quick online search, I have seen clip style master links on race bikes, however, they were all safety wired.  Is this CCS legal?  What s your opinion. 

How many of you are running clip style chain links?  Have you had any issues with it?

MW CCS #144 Am

twilkinson3

After losing a clip on the 600 at RA (bad things happen after that btw) I would never use a clip type master link on a race bike again

just my opinion tho, ymmv

IFMracing

GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

twilkinson3

yes - and besides it being a pita to wire it didn't really help - only ever happenned once but that is one too many times for me  - a rivit chain tool is cheap insurance

bruce71198

I didn't give this thread much thought until I went to service my chain after the RA round this past weekend. Found one of three chains on our bikes missing the clip ! Thankfully the side plate was still on ! Lets talk about how to keep the clips on as riveting hinders my maintanence process. They are non o-ring chains that I remove, clean and store in motor oil when not in use.

konitzer

I asked the same question last year, some seasoned veterans told me they used RVT over the clip to hold it, personally I used rivit style

IFMracing

FWIW, I ran a clip style last weekend at RA.
I safety wired around the clip twice, and then put RTV on the wires and clip.
I was sure to check it after every session, didn't have any issues.
GP AM CCS #28 ASRA #128
I.F.M. Racing

bruce71198

Are you safety wiring the clip to the side plate that it sits against ?

Super Dave

Quote from: bruce71198 on May 09, 2012, 07:02:24 PM
Are you safety wiring the clip to the side plate that it sits against ?
Yeah, that's about all one can wire it to.

It helps, as does RTV.  But it is just a piece of amusement for the clip.  If it gets enough load, it can find its way off.  Soft nose rivits on o-ring or x-ring chain is the way to go. 
Super Dave

design-engine

It doesn't really take long to press a pin in or out.  Can be done between races or during lunch.  After you do it a few times its almost as easy as a motocross master link alternative.  Much safer too.  Was it Jordan Suzuki who lost a chain during a race at T5 Road America.   I can't imagine they were using masterlinks.