Ultra Light Thunder Bike Roebling road raceway

Started by CHIRINOM, March 12, 2012, 06:46:19 PM

truckstop

vance - no blue flags.
I think they'll let you run anything, I've run a Hawk in TC, we tried an FZR400 a couple years ago, and I've seen them done on 125s, although all of those bikes are capable of faster lap times than the EX250. The closing speeds would be a bit scary depending on the track you're on.

Quote from: race712 on March 14, 2012, 10:46:33 AM
Four out of five people jumped the start and CCS didn't flag them in?

No. Although the one guy that didn't jump the start I think won anyway.

Jiggyfly

The situation for the jumped start was this: the 2nd wave sign was displayed at the side of the track, almost on beside the pole position rider, if not exactly beside. That person then walked away from the grid as if it was not going to be a 2 wave race. We were 3-4 rows behind the other grid, so it didn't really make sense to have a 2nd wave. They dropped the green, & the only rider that would've really seen the 2nd wave sign was the only one that didn't go. It was really a mistake by the CCS workers. They should walk onto the track, verify we all see it's a 2 wave, clutch hands in the air, then go through the entire 2 board, etc, process.

vance

Quote from: truckstop on March 14, 2012, 11:01:21 AM
vance - no blue flags.
I think they'll let you run anything, I've run a Hawk in TC, we tried an FZR400 a couple years ago, and I've seen them done on 125s, although all of those bikes are capable of faster lap times than the EX250. The closing speeds would be a bit scary depending on the track you're on.

No. Although the one guy that didn't jump the start I think won anyway.
That's correct, which is why I think nothing was said about the jump starts.

Obviously safety is the main concern, but we are all here to have fun and I'm not sure how fun it would be for the other teams to have to remember that for 100+ laps there's going to be a slow bike at some point that theyre going to close in on.
The 125's have to deal with us only once per race when they catch us normally around the 5th or 6th lap.
I don't want this group to be the pariahs of the paddock.  God forbid an expert on a 1000 close in on one of us amateurs with a speed difference of about 80mph and something bad happen.

alexm

Quote from: Jiggyfly on March 13, 2012, 01:18:22 PM
The class is extremely fun!!

You have all of the feel of racing a larger displacement bike, minus the high speeds & big dollars, & with the machinery being absolutely equal. So there's no way someone is going to have a better bike than yours.

Jiggy - sounds like it.

Does anyone know if there's a rental program for an EX250 in the Midwest, similar to http://www.racebikerentals.com/?

truckstop

Quote from: Jiggyfly on March 14, 2012, 12:26:22 PM
The situation for the jumped start was this: the 2nd wave sign was displayed at the side of the track, almost on beside the pole position rider, if not exactly beside. That person then walked away from the grid as if it was not going to be a 2 wave race. We were 3-4 rows behind the other grid, so it didn't really make sense to have a 2nd wave. They dropped the green, & the only rider that would've really seen the 2nd wave sign was the only one that didn't go. It was really a mistake by the CCS workers. They should walk onto the track, verify we all see it's a 2 wave, clutch hands in the air, then go through the entire 2 board, etc, process.

It was posted on the grid sheet as a two wave start, yes?
The sign was up, even if hard to see when you gridded up.
They don't suddenly change their minds at the start of the race and say "eh, meh. let's just do one wave." ;)

Also, especially if you're starting behind two strokes, it should be two-waves no matter what because they're not known for particularly fast starts off the line. 2nd wave doesn't start until the first wave is well away no matter how many rows they put between you.

It all worked its way out in the end, and now reading that technically even vance jumped the start it makes more sense why nobody go meatballed, but it is something you do have to pay attention to. Heaven forbid you launch yourself into the back of someone in front of you waiting for the second flag.

Jiggyfly

There's a lot of "technicallies"......but the facts are that it wasn't handled the way it should have been by CCS, & we all left on the green flag, which was also wrong on our part.

roadracer162

Being that my home region is Florida, and Florida grid marshals do it a little different. I empathize with your frustrations, but I have got to go with Truckstop. I have had the same issue where I jumped the start, and i did speak to them after the race.

Their take of it is this. There are riders that blow the start and jump on the first wave when they should have started on the second wave. They, the grid marshals would rather not be on track when any of the green flags fly for this reason. I can't blame them.

Now in Florida the grid marshals are very cognizant to walk in front and full view of each rider. The rider will acknowledge that they have seen the 2 wave board by gesturing with there hand holding two fingers up. This acknowledgement by the rider is a visual aid for the grid marshal and the other riders behind that may not have seen the board. the grid marshal also stays on track for a moment while the first wave leaves.

So be it as it may. Each person has responsibility in safety

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.