News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dunlop Tires?

Started by Gino230, November 16, 2011, 09:48:17 PM

Gino230

I'm a Pirelli rider, they work great on the LW bikes, but I've been given the opportunity to race an 848 for the Homestead round and it comes with a set of brand new Daytona Dunlop slicks.Does anyone know the differences in the Daytona tires vs. what is used for normal sprint racing? Model # / compound, etc?Are they too hard for Homestead?, Can I get within two seconds of the guys on the "good" tires?Any info would help. Putting Pirellis on the 848 really isn't an option, not enough rear grip.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

apriliaman

I dont race with,i'm on pirelli.I do you that daytona tires are very hard on the left side and softer on the right.That is about all that I know.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

apriliaman

I dont race with dunlop,i'm on pirelli.I do you that daytona tires are very hard on the left side and softer on the right.That is about all that I know.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

superbike supply

pull them off and get a set of the gp-a's or the gp's.  the daytona tires are built for daytona. 

Rick Johnson 29

You will not have good grip on those at Homestead. Try the UK GP's or I have heard some really great feed back on the newer American made slicks from some really fast guys. Just as good as the UK ones and cheaper they said. Save the Daytona tires for Daytona next year.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

Tornado Bait

The Daytona compound is only soft on the right shoulder.  The middle and left shoulder are the same "harder" compound.
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

ride_hard

If you're only looking for one round I'd recommend the 211 GP-A. It's cheaper than the UK 211-GP, and it'll offer more grip. Life span will be shorter, but like I said if you're only looking for one day it'll work. I've never ridden Pirelli, but from what I understand it will be like riding on a rock going to the Dunlop. Dunlop is a much stiffer carcass.

DJ LIFE

Pull the Daytona tires off... Specifically made for Daytona and do not work well anywhere else. If you want to stay with Dunlop slicks then go with (compound) 7712 for the rear and a 308 for the front. The 7712 is their medium tire and the 308 is their medium plus front. 22 psi rear and 31-32 psi front.
What kind of lap times do you do at Homestead and what races will you be doing? Including a practice day?

Peter998

Gino,
Pull the Dunlop Daytona tires off, they will be like ice skates at Homestead. I run Dunlops and if you put a set of N-tec Slicks on for Homestead they will be great, but not the Daytona tire!!!
Peter Meringolo 2010 Expert/ASRA # 998
ECS Racing