Daytona!

Started by Gino230, October 25, 2011, 12:48:53 PM

Gino230

Well since nobody on the CCS forum seems to care.....

How about some Daytona stories? There are some good ones on the other forum.

My main complaint is no cool down lap- for the air cooled bikes we are beating on these things for the whole race, running flat out and then chop the throttle and into the garage within 30 seconds. My oil temp spiked up to 320 degrees. I can't tell you how bad this is for valves, valve guides, cylinders, etc....more so on an air cooled machine. I complained but it was pretty clear they were not going to change it. :banghead:

In other news, the actual racing was fun, lots of good battles in the LW classes. Got 2nd in LWSS behind Mavros. LWGP was fun too...here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRzcdWDbz8

Glad to see everyone go home safe, I hope we get to go back next year!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

MELK-MAN

i had a blast, and like your vid Gino.. Tha song/track from the movie "Snatch" (and maybe others?) is awesome.. 
I agree about the cool down lap thing. Nothing like being wide open for longer than anywhere else in the country only to be pulled off track very quickly. I understand why they did it, and it sure saves time each race for the schedule, but penalise those that go slow on the cool down lap instead? 

I also would like to see the races to go back to 5 lap sprints.. the new pavement had only been tested and raced on with Dunlop tires.. And it is harder on the tires than the old pavement. All the other tire brands were pretty much SOL if you were running sub 1:55 lap times as the tires began having issues on lap 5.. except the daytona specific Dunlops. If you want a longer race, do the GT races and ASRA races, team challenge, etc. 5 laps at nearly 2min laps is plenty long for a sprint race.

anyway.. got a bit off track, but i really hope we go back in March 2012.. just lets rethink some things.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Tornado Bait

Too many red flags.  Every race I ran Saturday got red flagged (GTO, GTU, MWSS, ULSS) and I know there were others.  WTF....people were acting like it was the final race of the season and national championships were on the line or something.....:D
Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

Rick Johnson 29

For me the funnest race was the 44 lap GTO Team challenge on Friday. It was my first team race. I had two great riders Russ Proctor and Jim Cohrs as teamates. We had two good pits stops. Luckly our Dunlop Dot's made it the whole race so no tire change. Jim ran the last 12 laps bring us from 8th overall and 4th in our class to 4th overall and 2nd in our class. He made a pass for 2nd right before the flag. We did the race on a older 05 R1 but she made it to the end. My best were two 6ths on Saturday in GTO and Unlimited SS. I went 4 seconds faster then the 1st time I was at Daytona. Best a 1:54.0 but was doing consistant 55's and 54's. All in all a great time.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

apriliaman

Gino your bike is running too hot,mine is in C and went to 135-145C which is 275-293F,maybe you need a better oil cooler.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

apriliaman

Good video!! I would like to see a unedited version onboard of the race.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006