Racing Irene: Summit Point Aug 27, 2011

Started by Carlos, August 28, 2011, 10:52:20 AM

Carlos

I raced on Saturday, on old DOTs and was slipping around the sealer patches so much I decided to not do my second race - not fair to the racers that showed up with the proper equipment (rain tires!!).

Plenty of slide outs.

I was over at the front gate bleachers during race 8 or 9 and a bike coming down the hill slid out, hit the track and exploded into a huge ball of flame! The rider looked ok, having landed in the rain soaked grass away from the bike. Not often you get to see a race track on fire during a hurricane.

CCS #618 - Triumph Thruxton 865

TAlber8

Did it rain the entire day?  Looked like overnight they may have gotten hit.  I skipped becasue I was worried about getting home with flooding and bridge closures

Carlos

Attached is a really crappy photo of the bike on fire.

It was raining pretty much on & off after race 3, although the track was wet even during the practice runs.

During race 3, some bikes were coming down the main straight and the rain just opened up on them right at the braking markers before turn 1. It was ugly, 3 bikes down immediately and a few more off the track into the gravel. Almost no warning.

Bullitt_75

Below are some links to some video of the GTO Race#1 Ex/Am from aboard my bike.  The track had some wet spots in the beginning of the race but by the middle of the race the track was relatively dry.  I had rain tires on myself and they were used up by the end of the race.  The riders with DOT's on definitely had the advantage towards the end of the race.

GTO Part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxDlZjYcp_s

GTO Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKYUUNfj5Y

DougG60

unfortunately rain is part of the game, this isnt nascar haha. ran the hw sbk rain race on saturday and had a great fight with Jim Cohrs most of the race. video to follow in a bit. sunday made up for it though, what a great day compared to what it could have been
EX101 Ducati 848

HappySV

Was anyone crazy enough to be out taking pictures?  Since we were crazy enough to be out racing in a hurricane maybe there was a photographer nuts enough to be out there with us?

DougG60

EX101 Ducati 848

Carlos

Update: the rider of the bike that exploded in Saturdays Race #9 Unlimited GP is OK, sore foot from pushing the bike away while still sliding down the track. He himself was on fire for a bit but it was put out once on wet grass. The rider behind him apparently missed his helmet by a few inches.