News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Transponder mounting location Q

Started by 50Joe, December 19, 2010, 09:50:53 AM

50Joe

I'm crossing over from WERA and they use a different transponder and mounting location.  I prefer to not drill into my tailsection for CCS.  My subframe is gutted and is only there to support the seat and tailsection.  I can easily make a cross member on the subframe hold the transponder.  It will be in line with the rear axle and oriented correctly.  My question is, will tech approve this location if you can't easily see the unit?  Kneeling down and looking under the tailsection the unit will be easily seen but a casual observer won't see it.
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22
Motul, Bridgestone, Fast From The Past, Cycle Gear, Foothills Motorsports, Integrity Tool

dylanfan53

In the midwest I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue.  I see from an earlier post that you're southeast so your tech may vary but I still don't think it would be a problem. 
Don Cook
CCS #53

smoke54

mine is in a bag screwed to the undertail.  i think it is a 5.00 bag from ccs.
tim

GSXR RACER MIKE

I believe race official's 'PREFER' that the transponder is mounted with the lights visible and facing backwards. That way when their checking the grid for each race they can quickly see that everyone's transponder is functioning.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Burt Munro

Thank you Mike. 

There have been times when we know that someone's transponder is either missing or not working properly and we rely on the corner workers to help identify which bike it might be.  If your transponder is not clearly visible they could identify you as missing your transponder and you get pulled in from a practice session unnecessarily.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Super Dave

Once, I mounted the bag with the transmitter on the swingarm.  Similar issues in that some wanted to be able to see the transmitter and drilling in certain locations just weren't gonna work at the time. 
Super Dave

roadracer162

I guess it really depends on the region you run. In Florida it is stressed that if the transponder the rider is using is not working then the responsibility rests on the rider to change it out. They also plainly state that if a rider goes out for a race without a transponder then they will be DQ.

Mine is in the $5 pouch bought from CCS and the pouch is mounted under the tail and to the subframe. It is visible if you are to squat, but I have had no problems with scoring or making it through tech.

I suggest go as planned with mounting it to your subframe and if you just have to, keep the drill handy for that last minute attachment. If I am not mistaken the pouch was meant for locating the transponder under the tail.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

dylanfan53

50Joe,
Rick, aka "Burt Munro" is tech here in the MW so I'd suggest going with his recommendation to keep it visible.   
Don Cook
CCS #53

poppop587

It is my understanding that they only request that the transponder be located in a visible place on the tail.  It can be on top or bottom.  I have also seen some that were mounted on the front of the bike.  Maybe to get that extra early trip of the wire on the last lap.  Gives you a five foot lead when you are side by side.  In the Mid-atlantic region the basic rule is that if you go out with a dead transponder or a missing transponder you may be DQ'd.  There is the possibility that you could be manually scored if the grid is small enough.  If your transponder was working in practice and quit for a race they tend to give you the benifit of the doubt if you were manually scored.  You may try to use Velcro on the top of the tail.  The Velcro can be removed usually without damaging the paint and some of the new type Velcro has some major holding power.

Eric Kelcher

Transponder must be mounted behind the rider, if mounted in front of rider it would be cause for DNQ.
Please do not use tape or adhesive directly on units it can effect the fit and function when charging.
Transponders should be mounted during practice if there is issue the hardware can determine signal strength, improper mounting or electronic interference; as well as battery strength and you will be asked to visit tech and they can work with you on better mounting location or get you new unit.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition