Google Malware Alarms / Info

Started by Jeff, September 20, 2010, 08:34:17 PM

Jeff

Hello folks,

As some of you have noted, this forum (and cbr600rr.com) were labeled by google over the weekend as containing potentially malicious 'malware'.

To make a long story short, we believe the problem resided in the ads package which served both sites as there are known exploits in the package we were previously running.  I just finished upgrading the package to the latest version and have asked Google to rescan the site to see if they are still coming up with any malicious code.

I apologize for the inconvenience.  Hopefully within the next 1-2 days Google will scan the site and remove the malware tags from it.

Thank you for your patience.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Gixxerblade

Jeff

Just checked with Google and they have removed the malware tags.  Cool...

I should have the banner package back in service next week.  I had some problems on the install and I'm waiting for a guy to get back from vacation to help me out.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Jeff

Folks, when we brought the banner system back online there were some corrupt entries in the db which google scanned and tagged us again as malware. They were removed on Friday morning and everything is clean. I have asked google to rescan the sites to remove the malware notifications again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

gixxer188

I've been using OpenX/OpenAds for years and I have never had any problems with Google scanning the banners and tagging them as malware.

There is however a coding error in the forums when using IE8.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:29:57 UTC

Line: 32
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,25192.0.html

And this is line 32:
window.addEventListener("load", smf_avatarResize, false);
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

Jeff

If you stayed current using open X you wouldn't have had a problem.  But if you lagged on your updates, it became a big issue.  It was reported many places online.  There were exploits that created additional users and malicious entries in the database, all of which came along with each banner posted on affected websites.

Not a big deal once we found it.

As for the IE8 error, I'll have to check to see what is/isn't tested & current with IE8.

Anybody wanna buy a forum or two?? ugh.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

gixxer188

It may have been reported all over the Internet, but for what it's worth I'm still using "OpenAds" which is the predecessor to "OpenX" and mine has been working fine without a problem for years.

I run several vB forums and have run and started many others over the past 10 years, if you're looking to throw in the towel maybe we should talk.  I'm not looking to buy but I can certainly help resolve the issues and make improvements.
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

Jeff

Ahhh yes... I upgraded from OpenAds which succeeded PHPAdsNew, etc etc...  Been through them all pretty much...

The issues here are fairly minor. I'm just lazy...  I'll chug along until the right party steps in. =)
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest