News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Title / VIN question

Started by Loch077, September 02, 2010, 06:52:03 PM

Loch077

To comply with the production bike rule, most race organizations check the VIN plate, correct?  Does this mean you have to have a title in hand?  Also, what do all the different title types mean for racing purposes (i.e. clean, parts only, certificate of destruction, salvage, etc.)?  I'm asking because I may be looking for a replacement frame....so should I only look for frames with titles?  what about copy of title?  what about bill of sale?  Been confused about this for a while, thanks for any clarifications.

Eric Kelcher

Altered or removed VIN will prevent competition and questions from law enforcement. Unstamped, ie replacement frame, could lead to questions by law enforcement proving ownership; normally a bill of sale or reciept for purchase will ease questioning in this regard. Frames without titles could be stolen and again lead to questions by law enforcement. The only title to be leery of is one with a lien, ie bank or individual is owed money still all others will prove your legal possesion but could indicate that there had been from minor to major damage and may prevent future sale/use on the street.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Burt Munro

Damn Eric, you going to Law School?  :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Gino230

I'm on my 3rd bill of sale racebike. They have a VIN, I got the frames through friends so I'm fairly confident they have not been reported as stolen. In my 10 years racing CCS, I think there was only one Law Enforcement sweep of the paddock.

If you are buying a frame from someone you don't know, there is probably a way to have law enforcement run the VIN to see if it comes up stolen.

That being said, Frames / bikes with titles are more valuable and easier to sell, for what it's worth. If you're putting together a late model bike, to me the title would be more critical than an older bike, which you know has little chance of ever seeing the street again.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!