The cost of racing...

Started by Jeff, August 25, 2010, 04:05:41 PM

ScubaSteve

Quote from: majicMARKer on August 30, 2010, 09:35:13 PM
Marc,
What are you thinking, $20K for a Bimota try $34K now that everyone wants one. The Bimota is good but I think your ebay special Ducati 748 is the way. It is what it is where some guys or gals have the money and maybe they need that bike. I found myself this past weekend keeping up pretty close to those guys with my Ducati 800.

That $50K SV built by Prieto would certainly give them a run for the money.

you talking about the SV Mills and I ran? If so it was still less then a Bimota. It wasn't 50k in it. Bike was built from parts and majority cost was motor and radiator. We never had a mech dnf and it put out 98hp. The weekend I crashed it it was making 103hp. Rob Buroker bought it after my injury and ran it a few year without freshing it up before he blew it up.

Still waiting on the bimotas to catch my times from the SV. I think Edmunds or Kevin finally caught them at Homestead. I heard they ran 31 in June
Steve

CCS FL

roadracer162

It is the SV that I am speaking of. I am only going by what the mechanic at the time I took my FZR600 there to be tuned. My FZR600 produced the same horsepower on that dyno but the SV was much stronger especially right from the apex. In those years that Rob had the bike I was competing against him in the Thunderbike ranks as an amateur.

The Bimota is $34K to start before any mods.

I also had heard that Edmonds and Kevin were in the 31's but I didn't see it on the time sheets. Those times may be from Kevin's GPS.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Ducmarc

i was looking for a way to slow down lap times and expense so the average yoke can  stay in racing sure it will piss a few people off  but  i think it would narrow the disparity between the fastest and the slowest riders and keep from losing more riders   of course we can not change anything and let it all go to pot.

roadracer162

For me to keep racing it's a matter of me keeping my old bikes and continue to run them. The option of purchasing new becomes too much for my racing budget which is what I think leads to many racers dropping out. Of course the mentality of most only settling for being at the front comes into play.

For me it has been quite a challenge to run on equipment and resources of very little. It was very satisfying running that ebay special Ducati 748 against the likes of the leading LW group. There was something to be said having a $700 bike bringing me half way through the 2008 Ultralight SB Championship which ultimately I won.

It's nice to have a place to run my old bikes. Not necessarily vintage but the ten year old stuff and not get too badly bruised.

Racing is what it is. If you have the money to afford the upgrades to run at the front then by all means I can't complain. If you want me to keep racing give me an incentive. I do it because I love it. I'm not the fastest guy out there but I do win some races.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Fast Eddy

Hi gang,

Just thought I would share my experience. I had NO interest in racing. I have raced cars and know it is not cheap to race, period. I wanted to ride fast and have fun. With a little encouragement from others, I got my license this year and can't wait for the next round.

I think track days need to be treated like a talent pool to recruited from so to speak. We need to encourage track riders to try the next level. We need to explain to them how much fun you can have without being the fasted.

One of the best things that has happened to me was having another rider I know comment on how he was comfortable riding near me cause he trusted my riding. I thought that was a great compliment and as good as a win.

We must stop huddling in our little racer groups and venture out into the squids and spread the word.  :ahhh:
Ed (AKA Dirt nap) CCS #102
http://www.southeastsales.com/
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe