News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Scooter Racing? WTF?

Started by Nate R, April 16, 2003, 05:06:32 AM

superbikemike6

QuoteFor the past 2 years, the Wegman Benefit fund has held the pitbike races on the day of the auction, following normal racing. The entry fee goes directly to the fund, and to be honest, it's been the most fun most guys have racing all year. You have to be a licensed rider to participate, and in previous years there have been 2 classes, LW (below 100ccs) and HW (up to 125ccs) Dave Doe and his cronies lay out a "Course" on the front straight. This is full contact, knee draggin', b@lls to the wall action. Not to be missed for sure. For more information on the fund go to //www.wegmanfund.org A good cause for sure!

You forgot cheating

Nate R

Yeah, Jim race from AFM got Kevin Elliot into the ULWSM idea. One of his points was cost, the other was giving the AFM P250 guys somewhere else to race.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Pit_Girl

wow! two whole pages over a few little scooters.... i cant believe they left a recliner there that's too freaking funny :D :D :D.... (at least they didnt leave a lamp too lol) ;D

so, out of curiosity, (and i dont think anyone has adressed this yet) does anyone know how much they did pay to race? ???

-jen

oh, and by the way, the svrider board sux! (just thought i would stick that in here ;))

K3 Chris Onwiler

I talked to a guy at the results board at Blackhawk.  He was stoked!  Seems he had just won his first trophy.  He told me how he had spent the whole race stalking this guy, got in deep, almost tossed it, then got a better drive out of seven and drafted for the position at the flag.  He was positively glowing as he told me about it.  I asked which class, and he told me scooters!
Racers are racers.  Leathers, helmet, gloves, boots, scooter, spares, performance work...  These guys are more like us than we'd care to admit.  We can teach them track manners.  Why alienate them?  Combine their race with Ultralights.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Bernie

QuoteNever heard of it...doesn't go on down here.

I see a freak snowstorm in your future.  After the blizzard melts, the World Scooter Championships will be held at whatever track you are racing at. :P

spyderchick

Quotecan i use my aprillia rs50 in this event???? go ahead give me a reason to keep it!! ;D ;D ;D
Now that's such a stylie little bike you should keep it just for looks. Yeah, Gordy would probably let you use it, but remember the full contact part. Things get pretty "friendly" out there.  ;D

Rob, I think everyone has crashed during the pitbike race. Part of the fun. ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

MightyDuc Racing

QuoteI see a freak snowstorm in your future.  After the blizzard melts, the World Scooter Championships will be held at whatever track you are racing at. :P

Extra, extra, read all about it...world scooter sno-cross finals to be held at Homestead-Miami Speedway this July! ;D
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

DRU2

Wouldnt it be more interesting if they brought in the YSR's then scooter bike racing? Some of the guys that race theYSR's have 125 and 250 dirt bike motors in them and they realy fly.Last year when I took the LCR school there was a guy in there that had a 430 motor from a thumper dirt bike . Now that would be interesting to watch!!

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteI talked to a guy at the results board at Blackhawk.  He was stoked!  Seems he had just won his first trophy.  He told me how he had spent the whole race stalking this guy, got in deep, almost tossed it, then got a better drive out of seven and drafted for the position at the flag.  He was positively glowing as he told me about it.  I asked which class, and he told me scooters!
Racers are racers.  Leathers, helmet, gloves, boots, scooter, spares, performance work...  These guys are more like us than we'd care to admit.  We can teach them track manners.  Why alienate them?  Combine their race with Ultralights.

I don't think people are as pissed about the TYPE of 'alternate activity' as they are about the fact that we are carrying the load of the costs associated with the event and we ultimately are the ones that recieve less track time because of these alternate activities. Whether it's scooters, Legend cars, or track ride sessions for non-racers on our race days, it all detracts from the overall track time provided to us and also causes a much more hectic schedule for the corner workers, race staff, and racers. Scooters should race on go-kart tracks in my opinion, which would still provide a stepping stone for those looking to advance to our racing but wouldn't be detracting from our track time.
     From BMX bikes to off-shore racing boats, for the most part racers are racers, and all pretty much share similar excitement in what they do. I think what we are dealing with here is the fact that there is a time and place for everything, and during our race days is neither the time or place for the previously mentioned 'alternate activities'.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

speedmax

Seems CCS is ALWAYS trying to make a buck at our expence. First legend CARS (they have bike mototrs...so bike guys must like it) then the stupid useless scooters. What a bunch of Yahoos.
If ANYTHING, give them a one lap sprint race at the end of the day if there is time left...not the 3 hour endurance race 4 laps on one of these things becomes!!!
They are simply there because CCS wants more entry fees. CCS doesn't care about the quality or quantity of your track time...as long as they get more money.

Super Dave

This one I agree, that CCS is taking our money.

The Midwest region is by far one of the most profitable regions for any racing organizations, period.

Lots of riders, and we travel a bit.  We still hold the record for the most entries at a road race, even over Daytona.

CCS does not spend a great deal money advertising CCS races because it is "sportsman racing"...racing for the racer.  But then they sell our time to a scooter series to get more appeal?  

I don't see that I will cross over in to this, nor do I see many that do.

I don't see any growth in the scooters even though it's been with us for about four years now?  Anyone remember?  Why does it continue?

Anyone send this link to Kenny Abbot to see why scooter racing is continuing year after year?

And Ebben...

You $uck, but I love you anyway...

Super Dave

rick

Entry fees for ULWSM are the same as any other class. They're usually gridded with some of the other "slow" bikes like super sinlges or middleweight sportsman.