News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Scooter Racing? WTF?

Started by Nate R, April 16, 2003, 05:06:32 AM

Nate R

OK, I'll start the thread.

WTF? Scooter racing? NO. ULWSM was formed as a way for people to get into racing REAL cheap with Ninja 250s and the like. I know the guy who proposed the class to Kevin Elliot, and that was one of his main points, IIRC.

So, what's the point of this scooter racing? Didn't they have a 4 lap race? I hope they paid $70 for that entry.

What a bunch of garbage. I can understand maybe scooter races at the Briggs and Stratton kart track at RA, but not scooters taking up our practice and race time. Ridiculous.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Yes!  Ridiculous!

Why?  It's niche crowd, it doesn't bring more specators, and paying licensed road racers loose valuable track time...that erodes the safety of club racing requiring racers to attempt to take more time off work, loosing money that they might use to pay for expensive entries, or just remain in the sport for a bit longer than otherwise.

Nate, did you get enough track time in your practice sessions?  I got seven laps of practice on each day.
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

Never heard of it...doesn't go on down here.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Jeff

QuoteNate, did you get enough track time in your practice sessions?  I got seven laps of practice on each day.

So Nate got about 3  ;D  ;D   ;D

Oh man... Sorry Nate, that was wrong.  I just couldn't resist...  It just doomed me to crash though...

FWIW, that was my point when I wrote into RRW that the practice provided was a joke.  2 - 12 minute sessions isn't practice, it's an extended warm-up.  

Practice is held on a "pay-for-play" basis on Fridays...

Back to the topic at hand, the scooters are funny to watch, but the lap times being like 5x that of any normal bike do tend to drag the races out.  Plus, there's little action to it.  1 fast guy will run away and the rest will fall behind...  I'd think a 2-3 lap race would suffice, or hold them at the end of the day...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Nate R

I most certainly did not. I can understand with the late start on Saturday, but Sunday, 1 more session would have REALLY helped. The weather this weekend was NOT good, and I wanted more practice time. So, I was NONE too happy to see scooters out there on the practice time that MY entry fees paid for. WHY do scooters even need a practice? You could learn the course in a race. It's like going around BHF on a bicycle. It's not like they're hitting 120 and need to have an EXACT racing line. It would be one thing if it was JUST the race, although that still would bother me. But taking our practice time is another ballgame.

Jef4y --   :D It was wrong, but I still saw some humor in it. Made me chuckle. But, yes, yes you are now doomed to crash. Not a good move  :P Just don't get hurt. Geez why are you fast ol' experts picking on the newbie racer?  ;)
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Jeff

see, the b1tch of it is that even without the scooters, we'd still be stuck with 2 practices and then push to finish early...

too many classes, etc...  

I enjoy racing, it would be nice if there were a second organization in the MW region that would ease the load on CCS...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

KBOlsen

Scooters, schmooters.  They'll be back again this summer, won't they?  I've got something to show the guy who backed into my bike while waiting to go out onto the hot pit. >:(  I do a good enough job rashing my bodywork on my own - don't need any extra help!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Merk

To add some wood to this fire... >:(

We pitted next to some scooter guys - and they were absolute slobs.  They didn't just leave behind regular garbage like soda cans, wrappers and old spark plugs...but they went as far as leaving a damn recliner chair complete with remote control.  Right by turn 4/5 area if anyone else saw this.  We cleaned up after them, everything except for the chair.

Nice.  Real classy guys.

The absolute least we can do as a racing organization is to leave the track in as good or better condition than we found it.

MightyDuc Racing

Once again...scooter racing??????
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Dawn

QuoteOnce again...scooter racing??????

Yes,

Scooter racing....

MightyDuc Racing

muwhahahahahahahaaha....heheheheheheehehhe....hahahahahahahahahahaha...you gotta be fricking kidding me.  Did these guys graduate from the lawnmower racing ranks...is it like a step up or something?  Maybe you could have the lawnmowers too next time!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors: