News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My MWSS Turn 3 Crash @ VIR

Started by FUBAR606, April 15, 2003, 07:20:46 PM

FUBAR606

First off, I would like to thank those that stopped by to see how I (and my bike) was after my get off. All in all we both faired rather well.

Me- just some soreness in my back and shoulders (not much more than after a really hard back/shoulder workout). Bike- mostly cosmetic aside from the windscreen. And of course she needs a really good bath to dislodge the mud and grass.

I was running roughly midpack when I went into turn 3 on my usual line. I was carrying a fair amount of cornerspeed when I saw a racer appear taking an inside line. As we exited the turn, we were nearly tire to tire, with him only slightly in front. I feel he misjudged my cornerspeed (or he scrubbed off more than I did with the tighter line), but in either case we exited at pretty much the same speed into the short shoot straight towards T4. Unfortunately for me, I was on the outside and the other rider continued to drift to the outside. I basically ran out of track and had no where to go. So, rather than hit him and bounce off the edge of the track while running parallel to it in an "uncontrolled manner", I opted to attempt a "controlled" off track excursion. I had flash backs of motocross and got out of saddle as the bike made its way through the grass/water/mud. I was running roughly a 45 degree angle to tire wall and had hoped to make slight corrections back towards the track. I basically ran out of room, and the moment before I was going to un-arse the bike the front tire washed out. We both went down and slide into the tire wall. Me, back and shoulder first, and the bike, tail section first. After shaking out the cobwebs and waiting for the race to end, I rode the mud machine back to the pits under its own power.

Although I am not angry at the other racer, and maybe have no place to even think this, I'd like to know who he was. If for no other reason than to tell him what he did wasn't very cool. I am sure he wasn't trying to run me off the track, but he had to have known I was on the outside of him, and he gave me NO room. It was not a clean pass.

I spoke with a buddy who was watching the race from the fenceline, and he even said there was nothing I could have done other to have hit the other rider.

I don't know who the guy was other than he was on a solid black bike and dark colored leathers, and maybe a blue helmet. He would have to have been a white plate. I was on my solid white GSXR wearing red/white/black leathers (kind of mud brown now) and red helmet.

If anyone saw the crash and knows who the other racer was, or if the other racer remembers the pass. I'd like to hear from them. We should all try to learn as much as possible from every crash, and because this guy didn't even come look me up in the pits I have a bit of a soar taste about the whole deal.

If you feel I am not looking at this situation reasonably, and should just chaulk it up to racing, please share that with me as well.

Thanks!

r6_philly

Sorry to hear about your crash, it is not a good feeling to crash trying not to involve another rider, even though it was his fault.

I did not see the crash, nor do I know who the rider was, but I can identify with you about the same turn. Last year I had someone repeatedly going inside in turn 3, end up running out of track and push me to the edge of the track. It is definitely not a good place to pass that way. I didnt really care much because I didn't crash. had I crashed, I probably would have been just as frustrated.

That said, sometimes we don't know how much room we are going to have exiting the turn after an inside pass. I personally wouldn't purposely leave no room for the other rider, but sometimes it just end up that way. I don't like to stuff anyone (ask people in T4, I backed off more than twice every race I was in, because I like to pass people there on the inside), but sometimes I feel like I passed people and push them off their line. I wouldn't think twice if they were ok, but if I made them crash, then I would think twice about that pass.

It seems to be a gray area. Of course we all should take care when we pass, but sometimes things get out of control, lets hope this is one of that instance instead of something deliberate.

Bernie

Steve, that really sucks.  Makes me feel even worse for binning it and wacking you in Savannah.  You're a stand-up guy and have had some bad luck that wasn't your fault.  I try to have faith that a fellow racer might not have realized what the end result of certain decisions may be.  It would be nice to be able to talk to someone afterwards and find out what they were thinking and thought was happening.  At any rate, keep the faith, your luck will improve.

FUBAR606

Bernie and DaFan,

Thanks for your words of encourage, support and empathy.

I truely believe the guy didn't intentionally run me off the track. But I also put myself in the other racer's shoes and had I been the one to have made that pass on another rider, I'd have made sure to have paused ever so slightly on the throttle as to have left room on the outside. He would have still made the pass stick, while at the same time showing some sportmanship.

IMHO, I think he simply forgot to be a little courteous, and unfortunately a price was paid, albeit minor.

I can only hope that this post somehow reaches the attention of the other rider involved and we have a chance to chat at a future event. Again, there are no hard feelings, but I would like to know what his perception was/is, and have an opportunity to share my thoughts.

Best wishes!

MightyDuc Racing

I use my knees in that case, not that it necessarily would have helped you in this instance.  Several times I've had a rider I was on the outside of drift me towards the edge of the track.  As soon as I realize it's coming, I slap him with my knee.  I guess I get this from the dirt track, but at least he'll know you are there and if he crashes from a little knee bangin he shouldn't be racing.  IMHO

Sorry to hear about your crash. :(
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

bfkidd

You should have drilled him! That's what knees and elbows are for! ;D

GAMEDIC

I must have left before that...i'm sorry to hear about it hope you get to feeling better and if you need anything give me a shout....as for the other ..i agree with the grey area thing...kinda where it seems to fall...

FastBoy

Glad you're okay bro. Sounds like you did the same thing I did in the first race on Saturday. I don't know who the guys on the baby blue GSXRs are but they are in serious need of some skills. I was following another rider around the outside of a huge pack that was far to the inside on T1 when a baby blue rider decided he wanted to follow the same rider I was. Instead of drifting out, he made an abrupt line change of about 4 feet taking him directly into the side of my bike and pushing me off into the dirt at full tilt. Needless to say I went down hard and my shoulder and back are painful reminders right now. I was told the same guy ran another rider off track in the same race. I continued to race on Sunday and saw the same guy take out a rider in T7 who was unfortunately scooped up by the ambulance. I was starting in the second wave for lack of preregistering in each race and each time I came up on him he was taking different lines through the same corner every lap. I was afraid to pass because of his wild riding. I had to pass at the front stretch each time but what a friggin hazard these guys are. Turns out a friend of mine did the Nesba track day at VIR last month and these guys were there as well. He said they were a menace and continually crashed in T3 all day and he will not ride in another trackday if they are present. Wish I had known that prior to Saturday race.
Just a heads up, watch out and stay away form these guys. You'll see what I mean.

MightyDuc Racing

So if there are riders like that on the track that continually cause problems, isn't there something the officials can do about it?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

bfkidd

Those guys are winning expert and amatuer races. I don't think CCS would ban folks who are winning.

MightyDuc Racing

I don't care if they can win a MotoGp race...if they are taking people out, they should be fined/punished/suspended or something.  Maybe they are winning because they are knocking the comp down?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

iamnsxtc

QuoteI truely believe the guy didn't intentionally run me off the track. But I also put myself in the other racer's shoes and had I been the one to have made that pass on another rider, I'd have made sure to have paused ever so slightly on the throttle as to have left room on the outside. He would have still made the pass stick, while at the same time showing some sportmanship.

Best wishes!
DANG Steve,
Just caught up on my forum reading. I glad you are OK. I know Ken and I would have been right there with you. Turn 3 is the same area where I got bump off last year in the last race of the season. Lucky was able to borrow some parts.
Again, glad you're OK
"Live your Life"
SEAMAR RACING
CCS  SE EX 363