News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Sponsor-Seeking Racers, listen-up!

Started by Toy Store, July 27, 2010, 03:45:36 PM

Toy Store

I need to rant a little, and hopefully help some people in the process. I have always wanted to help people stay in how sport, but have struggled with how to do it. As a business in the sportbike world, I get sponsorship requests all the time. They usually start with something like, " hey, I'm a racer and am willing to put your sticker on my bike if you give me a set of bodywork."

Lets look inside the business owner's mind for a moment. You are asking me to take 7-800 dollars that I could spend on my own racing effort, or do something with my wife. Why would I do that? Is it a good deal? If I do it, will it give me any type of return? When you approach a business owner about sponsorship or freebies, keep in mind that the only thing we are thinking about is if you will generate a return.

How do you generate a return, you ask? Simple really... The sticker on your bike is nice, but unless you are Ben Spies it doesn't return anything! The best way to offer value to a sponsor is to simply talk about and refer people to them. It's really that simple. By sticking a sticker on your bike and thinking that your part is done, you have certainly ended next year's possibility of sponsorship.

Why the rant, you ask? I recently gave a customer an Alpinestars Race Replica suit (1800.00), after giving him several at cost. In return i got my logo on the suit and a sticker on the bike. It was pretty cool to see my logo on the AMA Supersport box a couple times, so it wasn't a total loss. But after a month of giving the suit, he calls again for another one.

When I told him I couldn't afford to give him another one at the moment, he gave me some BS about being front and center of the "world Stage." AMA Supersport, really?! My TV commercials play for MotoGP and World Superbike; that's the world stage. Well, after telling him that I couldn't justify giving him another suit, he said I wasn't giving him a suit, I was "marketing." After reiterating that I could not do it, he hung-up on me.

I'm really frustrated with the lack of gratitude here, and I must say that the "I'm entitled because I have a race number" is getting a little annoying.

Sorry for the rant, and I hope I didn't offend anybody. Please keep in mind that businesses require a return on their investment. If you approach potential sponsors with that in mind you will surely have increased your chances of getting sponsored.
Patrick
www.superbiketoystore.com

funsizeracing

It is amazing how many people, racers or not, feel that they are "entitled" to something for nothing.  If you want something, work for it and stop asking for handouts.
While I don't own a bike shop, I do work in one so I feel your pain.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Garywc

in the same respect alot of venders / tire people/ part manifactures  require you to run there stickers patches list as a sponser and only use there stuff and for a little discount that doesnt make it worth while  for the nonsense you have to deal with.
so make sure that if you want to get support from some one it is  worth your trouble.

but if some one is good enough to help you out with what you need you should be thankfull and glad they helped you how ever they did . because like patric said he could use that money elsewhere
word of mouth is good advertising for a shop or vendor not just showing up at races.
CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

Ducmarc

i gave a small payout to thunderbike last year in fl for the top 3 i got announcer time and the gatitude of a lot racers even ones that were not in the class. i wish i could have done it this year. if i did it again i think i'd give it to an amateur class. they are the most impressionable and in the most need of sponsership help.  maybe something like that would help you better.

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

RCR_531

This is true on so many different levels of life. People expect so much for free or to be done for them anymore.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

Ducmarc

GSXR RACER MIKE

I have to agree with your rant, I'm constantly blown away at how many people I talk to (or read about) lacking even basic business sense. Real world Return on Investment isn't that difficult to understand, yet so many people apparently have no idea how it works and/or are so focused on themselves that they don't even consider or care about it.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

YellowRacer

CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

throttle

I know the feeling. I make bodywork for small bikes 125,250 gp and I have helped everyone that has asked, to an extent. I have a new rule for sponsorship. If (your name) doesn't appear on the first page of a web search, you get no sponsorship. All racers should google themselves just to see what you find. I sell almost as much stuff to the UK as I do the USA. The UK people say they have found ME through other racers websites.
As a racer you should be a shameless self promoter.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: throttle on August 03, 2010, 10:17:37 PMAll racers should google themselves just to see what you find.

I just Googled myself and found out I've been stalking me so I filed a restraining order against myself!  :biggrin:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

YellowRacer

I just googled myself... It said I was sent to jail in California for 25 to life!

Don't tell them I've escaped!
CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster