News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

OK - Now this just pisses me off!

Started by EX#996, April 15, 2003, 06:58:08 PM

EX#996

Please read the following link...  I think the good 'ol boy from Texas needs to be enlighted a little bit!

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/041503/loc_041503033.shtml

Long story - short, a person made a left turn in front of the motorcyclist an the motorcyclist was killed.  He was 28 with two children and he WAS wearing a helmet.

The driver of the car was not given a ticket because according to police Capt. Richard Foster :

"This type of motorcycle is referred to as a racing motorcycle," Foster said. "Even though it is street legal, it encourages nothing but speed."

It doesn't say that the motocyclist was speeding, in fact the bike was hardly damaged!  

This is the site address for the Lubbock police department.  I will be e-mailing them stating that a married mother, age 36, drives one of these motorcycles.  If I get killed down there due to another drivers mistake, it's my own fault ?!?   >:(

http://police.ci.lubbock.tx.us/email.htm

Give me a break!

Dawn  

PS  This was found on the WERA board.  I think it was a good find.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Bsmedic

EX#996

Here's my e-mail:

Assistant Chief of Police Mann:

Today I read in the Lubbock Online site about and unfortunate accident involving a 28 year old gentleman on a motorcycle and a 41 year old driver of a Buick.  It is my understanding from the article that the driver of the car made a left turn in front of the motorcyclist, failing to yield to the right of way, when the accident occurred and the motorcyclist killed.  This is a tragic event.

However what makes it more tragic is the comments made by Captain Foster.  In the article it states:  "This type of motorcycle is referred to as a racing motorcycle," Foster said. "Even though it is street legal, it encourages nothing but speed."  To me this is stating that because of the type of motorcycle this gentleman was riding, it was is own fault for getting killed?  Looking at the damage to the bike in the picture, and no comment of the motorcycle speeding in the article, it is my opinion that he did not hit the car at a great deal of speed.  What if he had been driving a Harley?  Would Captain Foster have made such a comment?

I ride this type of motorcycle.  I am a married (15 years), age 36, and a mother of a beautiful daughter.  I have a good job and am in good standing in the community.  I vote every election.  If I would be riding my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6 in your city and would be killed by another driver's mistake, would I just be asking for it simply due to the motorcycle I ride?

Please inform Captain Foster, just like the saying, "Clothes doesn't make the man" neither does the type of motorcycle.  

Thank you for your time,

Dawn Buxton
Wife, Mother, and Motorcyclist.

Paul and Dawn Buxton

Steviebee

pisses me off too.  

Thats all i can say.

spyderchick

I fired off an email too.  >:( Too pissed off for words at first, but after a bit, I was able to draft something acceptable. Shall we see if we receive replies?
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

funksouljon

Mine.

4/16/03

Chief Jones,

Today I read online in the lubbockonline.com newspaper about an incident that occurred Tue 15, 2003. I am sure you are by now aware of the motorcycle incident, resulting investigation, and then comments made by Capt. Foster that occurred on North University Ave. Being that I am a Texan yet reside in FL, and that my father grew up in Lubbock, TX, this is not far from home even though it occurred many miles away.
The entire incident is appalling to me as a motorcyclist, and embarrassing to me as a police officer. The very fact that a motorcyclist would be considered at fault for their death based soley on the type of vehicle they were riding is a travesty. I feel sorry for the family of Mr. McGuire.
I checked the State of Texas Traffic Statutes and found no mention of a "racing motorcycle" in Chapter 502.001 (12), only the definition of motorcycle. I also know that Buick Regals of similar years to the one involved in the accident have been the platform for NASCAR as well as drag cars. Does that qualify this particular Buick Regal as a "racing car"? Would that change the situation?
I did however locate a relevant statute, entitled 545.152. Vehicle Turning Left. This statute makes no mention of type of vehicle, including "racing motorcycle."
This type of situation is what perpetuates the rift that exists between citizens (including motorcyclists of all types) and law enforcement. How can citizens trust police when such a simple decision is clouded with personal bias?
My hope is that Capt Foster either 1) spoke out of line 2) an investigation is on-going reference a DUI/DWI/Intoxicated driver in the Buick and that is why her name was left out of the report, or 3) a combination of 1 and 2.
While doing a job that seemingly very few appreciate, we in law enforcement need not aggravate the issue with ignorance and blind justice.

Thank you for your time,

Ofc. J Doran
State # 94 FSUPD.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote                                                         Ofc. J Doran
State # 94 FSUPD.
Geeze.  An intellegent cop.  Always thought there might be one in this world, but I'm still shocked.
I never meet officers like you out there.  
Imagine my most recent ticket.  I'm doing about 55-60 mph with cars passing me at 80 mph in a steady stream.  We pass a State trooper, who rolls out in HOT PURSUIT MODE to nab him a speeder.  As he passes me at 100 mph, he notices that my trailer doesn't have a plate.  He throws on the brakes, and nearly hits me as the squad gets all squirrely.  He's clear past me, and I'm on the brakes because I don't know what he's doing.  He's on the brakes because he wants to get behind me.  We slow to maybe 10 mph (on the interstate!) before he hits the lights, rolls down the window and points me to the side.
"Sir, I pulled you over because you have no license plate on your trailer."
"Yes Officer.  The trailer belongs to my friend from Wisconsin, where you don't need a trailer plate."
"So if I run the VIN, it will come back registered in Wisconsin?"
"Yes sir, to my friend John Smith.
He runs the VIN.  What do you know.  John Smith.
"Sir, your truck plate is expired."
"Yes Officer.  It's been 15 degrees and snowing for the last two weeks.  I've been waiting for it to get above freezing so I can clean the plate and install this new sticker that I have right here in my armrest."
"OK sir.  That covers the truck plate.  Regestration and insurance?"
"Right here officer."
"Very good.  Well, I'll have to write you a ticket for those tinted windows."
Naturally, I did not strike the officer or educate him about his lineage.  He had the gun and the badge, so it was his privlige to be an @$$hole.  All I could do was smile and hope he didn't decide to cavity search me with his billy club.  Everyone knows that unless you catch a cop misbehaving on video tape, he can do whatever he wants and it will be all your fault in court.  I took the ticket and left.  He wasn't going to get out of his car on a cold, snowy day without it costing me some money.  That's how it usually goes when I meet a cop.
BTW, I'm forty, white, short haired and polite.  I don't even like to remember what it was like when I was twenty, long haired, and wearing a black leather jacket.  
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

funksouljon

QuoteGeeze.  An intellegent cop.  Always thought there might be one in this world, but I'm still shocked.
I never meet officers like you out there.  

Some would debate that with you, but that is usually on the way to jail! :)
RE your ticket. Sometimes, some cops just HAVE to stroke a ticket. It's a power thing. At least it was a non-moving citation.

StumpysWife

I'm going to actually type out a letter and send it in a stamped envelope--with a cc to the mayor/City mangager person in charge.  I think I'll do a letter to the editor of this publication as well.  Greg always laughs at me because when I get mad I always say "I'm going to write a letter".  But you know, if it can make the tiniest bit of difference (even by recording a pattern of wrongdoing) I feel better.  

I can only imagine what his family is going through.  Greg rides his 929  to work everyday (when we don't have 300+" of snow). He doesn't race to work...he just rides. If something happens to him and justice cannot be served because some Harley lover who hates sportbikes (especially 929's--no one needs a bike that big) handles the situation, it would kill me because it is so beside the point.  Well hopefully Mr.Lubbock Law isn't a victim of what-goes-around-comes-around.  Eeesh...this turned into a rant!!!        

Dawn

QuoteOfc. J Doran
State # 94 FSUPD.

Very well said.

Thank you!

Dawn   :)

spyderchick

QuoteMine.

I also know that Buick Regals of similar years to the one involved in the accident have been the platform for NASCAR as well as drag cars. Does that qualify this particular Buick Regal as a "racing car"? Would that change the situation?
Ofc. J Doran
State # 94 FSUPD.

I thought of the NASCAR/racing angle after I sent my letter. Thanks for your eloquent missive. So what do we call this? Vehicular profiling?

K3, once we were pulled over in a nice touristy area here in Wisconsin and given a "speeding" ticket. Officer cited Roger for speeding. Trouble is, traffic in that town on that day wasn't moving any faster than 25 MPH. (limit 30) So why did we get the citation? We were driving the "gutless Cutlass". A run down ratty ol' car that didn't look so nice in a picturesque postcard place. Trouble is, we were doing recon for vacation, and that town got no money from us for 10 years after that incident. All for a measly $87 "speeding" ticket. Unfortunately Mr McGuire late of Lubbock won't have that luxury of voting with his money, will he? Damn, still pissed off this morning about it.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

sdiver68

Damn K3

Reminds me of bing pulled over on my FZR1000 going to WI to visit my cousin.  Rolling up 39 I was averaging maybe 90 mph when way off in the distance i see police lights.  Well, I may be dumb but I'm not stupid, roll on back down to 70 and just follow a car for about 10-15 miles (like I said it was way off in the distance...probably only visible because it was a pitch dark night)  Next thing i know a squad car pulls me over.  Asks for all the usual, runs my VIN, and then informs me I was speeding.  I said no way officer, I saw your lights 10 miles ago and have been extra careful not to exceed the limit.  He tries to convince me that he knows I was going faster, and that he saw me.  I didn't bite.  Next, he makes me demonstrate that all turn signals were working, brake light, etc...  Then, he actaully asked to see the DOT sticker on my helmet....WTF is he a federal officer? LOL

After finding nothing he could pin on me he finally let me go.  To this day I'm shocked he didnt just write up speeding and made me drive the 200 miles to contest it.
MCRA Race School Instructor