VIR Gate Issue

Started by r6_philly, April 15, 2003, 12:24:42 PM

r6_philly

So as it turned out, VIR gate was open all night, only that you can't get in if you do not have an armband already. Basically they are not selling them, only letting people who has been in there before to go in.

The end result:

over 20 cars/trucks lined up outside of the gate all night. I got there around 2:30, had no choice but to stay in line (well it would have been hard to make a U-turn and go look for a motel, plus there was a big truck behind me, I would have waken up eveyone trying to turn around. So stuck in my truck, until 6am when a pick up truck came flying down the road honking, waking everyone up. I was directed by the VIR gate people to get to a line on the left. 10 minutes later I was told by the CCS people to get back to the right. over 1 hour later we got in to the track, find a place to set up and missed my first practice session which started at 8:30. The second practice session saw 2 complete laps. 1 lap out, 2 times across the start/finish and then checker flag.

Besides the problem with the track sweating at the end of the day, I think the weekend was VERY not pleasant. VIR used to be a world class facility in my view, now it is another place that I don't like.

having to stay in the car outside of the gate all night, waken up to stay in a line for over an hour, and short short practice session was not SAFE at all. I was sleepy all day, if I didn't know the track, it would have not been pretty.

If I live 3 hours away, maybe it wouldn't be a problem. But when a non-stop trip to the track require over 8 hours of driving time, and you are not a professional racer (read: can't have all the time off) then can't get in the track when we get there is a problem. And it is a ridiculour and stupid problem when then ARE people at the gate. They just wont take your money. ???

I was slightly aggitated, and my girlfriend swears that she will not come to VIR again, then I have to drive 8 hours and try to get through a weekend by myself now.

So maybe we should be able to pay for gate fee when I submit my entries, or by pass in advance, or maybe, a season credential???

TreyBone

r6_philly

QuoteWWWaaaHHHHH :'(

hey it used to be nice, now its not :p

Especially when I was told the reason is that no one wants to take my money.

pmoravek

I gotta agree with R6 Philly on this one.
If it's a money thing? Then, eff the transponders
(that we haven't seen yet anyway)
and pay someone 8 or 9 bucks an hour to let me in the friggin' place instead of sittin' outside the gate with the other 30 pissed off people.

Kevin, can we get someone to look into this?
It really needs to be addressed.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

FUBAR606

This whole situation was very poorly communicated (gee, that has a familiar ring to it). Even to the point that I had ALREADY been at the track and had an gotten an armband, but left to get dinner and do some shopping in Danville when I got a call from a buddy who I was camping with at the track. He told me, "they will be closing the gate at 10PM and will not let you in."

Of course, I NEEDED to get in considering everything I brought was already at the trackAND because I had a load of groceries for the folks I was staying with. I hauled boogey to make sure I was at the gate by 10PM (9:58 to be precise) only to have the guard tell me "oh, we would have let you in because you already had an armband. But we are not selling anymore armbands after 10."

I think CCS is really falling short in managing communications for the events they are promoting. It is hurting our sport and their reputation...we will all suffer.

This could have been easily eliminated by communicating (via email, fax, newsletter or verbally upon receipt of a registration) of what to expect. It could have also been reinforced upon arrival with a handout. Of course, that would not have helped those arriving after the gate closed.

I don't know the business end of things, but I can only assume CCS rents the track for their events just like anyone else does. The price they pay covers such services. Personally, I would like to CCS step up and create a template that follows the same format for ALL events, i.e. time gate's open/close, camping, etc.

I am tired of racers being made to feel we "owe" the track owners/managers anything for ALLOWING us to race there. We are paying clients. CCS is a paying client. What ever happened to good ole customer service, or are they really that arrogant?

bfkidd

All I can say is this is not a CCS issue. They do not handle track security. They can't control that part of the track.

Peanut

From what I was told @ the gate it IS a CCS issue.  VIR has just stopped collecting the gate fees for the race organizations.  They do have people there as normal but the CCS person stops selling @ 10.

CCS should have someone there to at least 2am.

These small managerial issues don't make sense to me. Clear channel is a huge company & even though CCS/FUSA is a smaller division, these issues should be able to be solved quickly. We have great on track people like Art but the organization is missing pieces in the administration/execution.

No transponders- The logistics should have been worked out before the season started. Then we should have been informed of the issues when they started to have a problem.

Gate Hours-Pay someone the extra 30 bucks to keep them there until 2.

Results & Website issues-either create a full-time position for someone, or hire Dafan or some other racer with web experience to handle it.  That would also help create online registration, etc.

Battling with guys on the track is fun & I'm loving this year, but it takes time, tons of money & a bunch of stress preparing to race. It's all a huge commitment by us to CCS.  We need to see CCS making the same commitment to us by taking care of these small issues that are easily fixed.

Nut

FUBAR606

QuoteFrom what I was told @ the gate it IS a CCS issue.  VIR has just stopped collecting the gate fees for the race organizations.  They do have people there as normal but the CCS person stops selling @ 10.

CCS should have someone there to at least 2am.

These small managerial issues don't make sense to me. Clear channel is a huge company & even though CCS/FUSA is a smaller division, these issues should be able to be solved quickly. We have great on track people like Art but the organization is missing pieces in the administration/execution.

No transponders- The logistics should have been worked out before the season started. Then we should have been informed of the issues when they started to have a problem.

Gate Hours-Pay someone the extra 30 bucks to keep them there until 2.

Results & Website issues-either create a full-time position for someone, or hire Dafan or some other racer with web experience to handle it.  That would also help create online registration, etc.

Battling with guys on the track is fun & I'm loving this year, but it takes time, tons of money & a bunch of stress preparing to race. It's all a huge commitment by us to CCS.  We need to see CCS making the same commitment to us by taking care of these small issues that are easily fixed.

Nut

Here, here...well said!! :)

Might I add that I have coordinated access control (ticket sales/collection, security, attendee screening, etc.) logistics for some major events. The issues facing CCS are not difficult problems to get corrected.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the lack of the right personnel in the right places.

I'll be more than happy to barter my consulting services to facilitate improvemnets for future entry fees.  ;D ;D ;D We have so many talented people among our ranks with a sincere passion for our sport, maybe it is time CCS/Clear Channel looks within for creative solutions to enhance the future of sportsman racing.

tzracer

Kevin posted this on April 2nd :

Yes, for those who intend to camp at VIR, a change with new management is that the gate will no longer be open all night long. Gate hours will be 4PM to Midnight Thursday, then re-open at 7AM to 10PM Friday and Saturday, then Sunday 7AM to 7PM. Gate fees will remain $25 for the weekend, $15 on Sunday. For those who pay the Gate fee on Friday, you will get a refund IF you return to the gate and let the ticket seller cut the wrist band off you before 10pm Friday evening.

At Blackhawk, when CCS stops selling arm bands, the guard takes over sales of the bands. At Gateway the guards don't sell arm bands, probably by choice of the track, the situation is similar to VIR. From Kevin's reply, it seems that the new track management has a new policy.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Litespeed

Seems like someone needs to find a way to make arm bands.....problem solved.

bfkidd

I don't know about any change... Two years ago, I got to the track right before 7am on Saturday and there was a long line. A buddy of mine drove from Florida and got there somtime during the night and was in that line. As far as I know it has always been like that.

FUBAR606

QuoteI don't know about any change... Two years ago, I got to the track right before 7am on Saturday and there was a long line. A buddy of mine drove from Florida and got there somtime during the night and was in that line. As far as I know it has always been like that.

I have experienced it both ways (prior to this year). I, too, drove from Florida 2 years ago and waited in line until the gate opened around 7. But last year I arrived in the early morning hours (around 1 AM) a couple of times and got right in. Thank goodness too, because one of those times I had to rebuild the front half of my bike before practice and it took every minute available.

It would just be nice if there were some consistency. I understand that management changes and therefore rules may change with them. In those cases, everyone should know about the changes through conventional means. Although this board is a FANTASTIC way of getting information, I don't think it is the mainstream method that CCS riders expect to stay informed, afterall, it is considered "unofficial." I think it is great that folks from CCS like Art, Kevin, and Tiffiney frequent the board to address issues when they can, but I think this board should be used as a supplemental communication method. Either that, or make it an "official" board of CCS and advertise it to all racers accordingly as a way of getting up-to-the-minute broadcasts. Should that transpire, maybe a forum can be created that only CCS officials can post to that is read only for such broadcasts...just a thought.

Thanks for letting me share my ideas.