Opinions or Info Needed

Started by MightyDuc Racing, April 12, 2003, 06:31:51 AM

MightyDuc Racing

My buddy and I were talking about the feasibility of a road course being built in our area, and I was looking for some opinions from racers.  There is a wealth of land about 20 miles outside of Fort Myers here that I'm sure could be bought inexpensively (relative to this area anyways).  We figured a two mile road course, similar to Jennings in size and overall pit area layout, could be built for $200,000-$300,000.  Maybe even less.  Anybody know how much the actual paving would be?  The rest could be done mostly by us and our friends/family (such as small buildings by my brother-in-law, and clearing, etc with rented equipment).  It seems like there aren't any good places anywhere near us that have track days, etc.  Moroso has about 2 track days per year,and Jennings is 5-1/2 hours away from us and like 6-7 hours from Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.  Do you think we would get a good turn-out for track days, and do you think my number guesses are correct?  Also, anybody know what kind of dollars we'd need annually for insurance?  Fat Bloke?  Just curious and been kicking it around for awhile, so I thought I'd ask.

TIA
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

sdiver68

Sorry, this has been discussed before on many different BBS's.  Paving alone will run you $500,000 - $Million even without ambitious plans.  That number was supplied by a paving contractor doing the work in the "offseason".....

Add to that all your other expenses (water, electricity, insurance, etc.... ) and you better have at least a few million to invest.

If anyone was really serious about it, we could get an SBA backed loan assuming we have 10-20% worth of investmest cash up front.  I think there is a market for tracks but it has to be done right.
MCRA Race School Instructor

MightyDuc Racing

That really sounds high on the paving.  I'd like to think I could pull some strings and do significantly better than that.  As far as the rest goes...I was thinking it would start kind of on a shoestring budget, with the main expense being a good track and surface, and the rest would come as the track and participation grew.  There is, however, a lot of money floating around this area, but I have no idea how good of an investment a race track is.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Woofentino Pugrossi

Guestimate on annual insurance? Probably 6 figures a yr.

BUt here a BIGGER problem you'll run into. Getting the land zoned for use as a racetrack. Many neighbors will sue to stop you from building one. Generally these are teh same kind of people who move next to an airport then sue to get them to close it because of the noise. ::)
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Bernie

Ahem.  Can you say "EPA"?  Your Federal Government will make this difficult, time consuming and far more expensive than it needs to be. :'(

MightyDuc Racing

The area I'm talking about is probably 5 miles from the nearest civilization at least.  The boonies..
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

QuoteThe area I'm talking about is probably 5 miles from the nearest civilization at least.  The boonies..

5 miles - The boonies....

Whaa Haaa Haaa Haa!

Oops, sorry!  I guess I'm not a city girl.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

Not from a city...from people altogether.  But remember, Florida's only about 120 miles wide...lol.  We are just long. ;D
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

Bryan:

Since your looking for opinions, here's mine.  If it this is a dream for you, research it, look into it, and when it comes to money - expect that it will cost you at least three times more than you expected.

If you do go forward, be sure to have every contract and commitment in writing and very detailed with no gray areas.  With a project this big it would be a good idea to have an attorney to handle many of the legalities.  

As I told my parents one day, "If I try and fail, and least I will never have to wonder 'what if"

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

MightyDuc Racing

We're just gonna look into it as sort of a project when we get some time and draw up a hypothetical business plan.  I have another buddy that is a big time investment person, and not only has a load of cash, knows tons of other people with loads of cash too.  I have been working him to help me get sponsors for the race team too...lol.  We wanted to draw it up and run it by him to see what his opinion is.  Probably gonna take us several months to get it all put together....can't hurt...ya never know. ;)
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

EX#996

Paul and Dawn Buxton

MELK-MAN

Brian.. i have many track days at Jennings and am know personally many of those that own and manage the track. That facility even with no real grandstands or scoring tower as you have see .. is over $2MILLION invested so far. Your estimate on paving is way off. 30' wide or so in many areas, typical paving is over 60$ per linear foot, multiply by 2 miles..Their cost per track day is in the $2,000 per day range with insurance, ambulance, electric, etc. Also, im not sure how much land you think is "alot".. but they have over 300 ACRES up there. Its a pricey proposition but you bet your ARSE id be there with cash in hand to ride it!
"if you build it .. they will come"..  ;)
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice