News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Thunderbike question...

Started by YellowRacer, February 27, 2010, 10:00:23 PM

YellowRacer

With Buell no more, will Thunderbike series... Be very "thundery"? Anyone still planning on racing Buells in Thuderbike, ametur?
CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

xb12racerX

mind your own damn business

George_Linhart

I think that the ASRA grids will be a lot thinner as you had a # of teams that relied on Buel/HD support and contingency.  At the club races I don't expect a huge change.  Perhaps some of the bounty hunters will change classes (then again, there is relatively little manufacturer $$ in any class).

These bikes won't disapear immediately but may or may not change hands.

jeff_993

Still planning on running the XB; agree with George, doubt it will effect club level entry.

YellowRacer

Thanks guys. I'm racing a SV this year, but love racing against Buells for some reason. Hopefully there will be some out there to race!

Best of luck!
CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

ahastings

with no more dyno requirements the duc 749R is a huge overdog for that class
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

George_Linhart

Quote from: ahastings on March 02, 2010, 04:22:42 AM
with no more dyno requirements the duc 749R is a huge overdog for that class

I completely agree.

When they allowed the 749 in at least with the weight/power limitations provided a limitiation to what you could do.  WIthout the Dyno the gloves are off and you now have the potential of a class killer.  At this point it seems to me that we might as well just throw away the scales and simply rely on the equipment limitations.  At least then you could build a CBR600F2 that would give the 749R a run for its money.

George

Ducmarc

isn't the beemer  the class killer?  mr boy's 748 ran well last fall t'il the tires went away shame he broke his knee cap at homestead they were hunting for horsepower all winter.seems there's three or four bikes pretty close on power . his problem with the tall low gear and no torque gives him lazy starts. don't know how the 749r leeves with an even shorter crank. unless you slip in a 749s crank

ahastings

do you seriously think that bmw is a match for the 749R. no way on a normal road course. maybe the bmw hp2 but that bike is specifically excluded. As proof under the old rules when the dyno was used the bmw 1200 would fall in line but the 749r most likely would go over the hp limits especially with a little bit of motor work
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

Ducmarc

I've been thinking about a 749r  how much horsepower do think you can get out of one and stay legal? it looks like it has all the good parts to start. but I've herd claims all over the map. still the bike is out of production and it will be a long time until the 848 is allowed so would that many more be put on the grid? i do think eliminating the dyno is a step away from parity though

ahastings

you can do anything you want to the 749r or any 749 now that the dyno is no longer used as long as you don't make the motor bigger.  granted you wont see a grid full of them because there isnt much money to win. that bike used to be excluded from the class only the 748 was allowed, but they decided to allow it since the dyno kept anyone from building one that would dominate the class, now the dyno is gone but the bike is still allowed. there is no doubt that is by far the best bike for that class. pegram rode one succesfully in ama fx in 2007 with a slightly bigger bore.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports

Ducmarc

i'm always 4 or 5 yrs behind so thats been the bike i've been thinking about i've already been been gathing parts when they float up.