News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

ESU mounting question

Started by mattbnj, February 08, 2010, 12:37:42 PM

mattbnj

Hello all,

How do you mount the ESU unit you get from CCS? Do you drill holes in the tail section and wire tie, or do you think velcro strips will be sufficient? I'm curious who's using what to mount these devices.

Thanks Matt

skiandclimb

Hi Matt,

I still use the old school, plastic bracket on the tail section. drilled two small holes, lined it with the rear axle, and good to go.

Alot more racers seem to be using the pouch method, as it tends to do a better job holding the ESU in place if there is a get-off.  Still have to drill the holes if top mounting to your tail though.

As for velcro....I think it may not pass tech.  Hopefully one of the tech guys will jump in and say something.  Also have to consider that CCS probably doesn't want the transponder coming back with velcro or its gooey remains on it!

HTH,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

mattbnj

Thanks Ski.

so what dimensions should be used to drill the holes? Also, not familiar w/ the pouch vs the braket? Does the ESU come with one or another?

Eric Kelcher

I am unsure of the spacing I think it is 4" but could be way off I need to measure one myself
The pounches are sold at registration for ~$10, ESU weekend use is included with entry fees, brackets are no longer stocked/sold at the track due to problems with mounting.

Don't apply any tape or Velcro to units it makes it so thye will not fit in
charger. Registration will use proper residue free tape to ID unit for you if needed. 
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

DakotaCBR

I'd just bring a battery-powered drill to the track and mount it up there when you get the pouch.
Jon Hatcher - CCS FL #308

mattbnj

Thanks all.

So what exactly is a pouch? Is this just another term for the mounting bracket? Sorry for all the questions, but i don't want to be trying to figure this out the day of the race.

skiandclimb

No worries, Matt.  The pouch is the replacement for the plastic bracket, which was/is used to thold the transponder with zip-ties. The unit is pretty exposed and has a tendancy to fall out of the bracket....cdorner workers tend to come across them with frequency!

The pouch is just that- a pouch the transponder fits into, locking it inside with a simple turnbuckle. The pouch, itself, is mounted much like the older brackets, but there is way less of a chance of the unit falling out during a race.  Do a google search for transponder pouch.  You should be able to easily find a picture of one.  Most I have seen are bright orange to red in color.
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

mattbnj

Thanks Ski.

Does anyone know who makes it? I can google it and post the results for future reference.

skiandclimb

Matt,

Here's the link to the company CCS uses for transponders:

www.westhold.com

Here's a pic of the transponder (yellow) in both te older bracket style, as well as the new pouch:

For what its worth, I would save my money and use the free one CCS provides...just in case you are thinking about buying one.

HTH,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

Burt Munro

Damn it Ski! 

I just copied the link to the photo from the Westhold site.  Then I decided to go to the bottom of the thread to post my response and find that you've already posted it.  :spank:

Don't you have some bad guys to arrrest or something?   :biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Burt Munro

Quote from: skiandclimb on February 08, 2010, 06:32:59 PM

For what its worth, I would save my money and use the free one CCS provides...just in case you are thinking about buying one.

Ski,

I'm pretty sure they're not free.  Last I heard they were $10.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

mattbnj

Thanks Ski

At least now i have an idea of what this looks like. Guess I'll be drilling my tail section at the track.

Matt