News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Team Challenge thoughts

Started by gearhead, January 11, 2010, 10:12:46 PM

gearhead

My teammate and I are seriously considering jumping into a couple of Team Challenge races in 2010, racing a Buell  XB12R in the GTL category.  My teammate is getting his license upgraded to ASRA so he can also race in Thunderbike which should allow our team to be eligible.
Two additional guys will be joining the team so with a roster of four if anything happened with one of us the team should still be able to compete.  This will be our first attempt racing longer than the normal sprint races so I know we have a steep learning curve ahead!
   Jim Lilly and Mike Kirkpatrick have  given me lots of great advice and tips already but I'm interested in any and all input from those we'll be racing with.
   Thanks in advance!

tstruyk

pre arrange an agreement for what happens to equipment if/ when it breaks.  I always made the same deal with guys I rode with.  We split cost 3 ways on anything that happens unless you manage to wad it in a ball without any assistance.  basically "you break it you buy it".  This meant if someone took you out it was a split between the 2 or 3 guys to replace it.

Know where your pit is locate...thats for you Rick  :banghead:

Have prearranged signals for "hey I'm about to pit"  some guys will buzz pit wall, some put a hand on top of their helmet etc...

Have 2-3 people there to help you with pit stops, give them one job during the pit stops, make sure you are following all the rules

Set up a canopy early, get your pit set up and ready as soon as possible.  Set up a cooler with water, bring warmers (really nice if there is a red flag) generator etc. 

Bring a fire extinguisher

Make sure your helpers have jeans and proper footwear on

I dont BELIEVE you have to pay for a seperate ASRA liscence for the team challenge... I never did  :ahhh:

Dont give up even if you think you are way down, you never know what can happen in an endurance race

Have fun

its a great opportunity for extra track time and some racing experience, my first laps in a race ever where at Road America in the team challenge.  Good times!!

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

RCR_531

Mike Kirkpatrick  has a lot of good info forsure. Timmay  didn't sound to bad here either but make sure that the guy sign up to ride with doesn't leave all the riding up to  you if starts raining
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

Burt Munro

Quote from: tstruyk on January 11, 2010, 10:53:18 PM

Know where your pit is locate...thats for you Rick  :banghead:

See how smart you are....NOW!!!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

tstruyk

ya know in the grand scheme of things I was in the "ball park"  :biggrin:
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

Don't think you need to have an ASRA license to compete in the Team Challenge. 

Timmah got it all down pretty good.

Then it's a matter of doing laps, finish the race.  If you're a novice to the longer races, you might find that you find out that you really just calm down and put in consistent laps that are very quick. 

Spares are nice.  Sometimes, think big.  Rather than replacing a broken front brake lever and a ground down master cylinder, have a whole brake set up ready to go...caliper (Buell...one), line, master cylinder. 

Long races sometimes require "rider entertainment".  A pit board is nice to have just to remind the rider that he's being watched.  Give times, laps completed, time completed, boobies...whatever is necessary.  Helps pass the time a little easier.

Not sure if you're looking for some Buell race parts, but I've got a few to sell.  (Shameless plug.)
Super Dave

PJ

Hi Ralph,

Endurance racing is the best bang for the buck. Period. You'll love it. You'll be passed and make more passes than you ever would in a sprint race. You can actually settle into a groove and think about your lines, race craft and bike set up, etc. It's great learning and great fun. You'll want an on board lap timer. A pit board is also nice. Calculate your fuel mileage to determine your pit windows. Or use your low fuel light (but make sure it works and actively look for it towards the end of your stint!).

A lot of good tips have already been given, especially about being up front about cost sharing and having a plan for who pays what when it all goes wrong. Collect emergency contact info from everyone on the team (including crew). Bring plenty of water, gatorade, healthy snacks, etc. And all the spares you can afford.

If you need any other advice or want to talk further, ping me. Or Mike. Always happy to help.

Good luck!

Paul

Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

trace33chargers

I'd love to do the Team Challenge, but I'm selling my spare SV and I don't wanna be worn out for the sprints. But if anyone needs a pit helper I know I'll be there for the weekend, just ask me

diamond

I'd like to try a Team Challenge event this year.  Anyone know for sure if you need an ASRA license or not?  I assumed you did...

DakotaCBR

ASRA license is not required for the TC
Jon Hatcher - CCS FL #308

twilkinson3

Trace has waaay too much energy <grin> someone put him to work so he's slower int he LW sprints

gearhead

Thanks to everyone for all the input!
Last week we made the decision to watch and take notes at the Blackhawk round, then jump into the fray at Road America.