News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dont say it.....

Started by Chef, April 01, 2003, 08:42:08 AM

Chef

it's kinda mixed, but i know someone will say
"hey, thats a wrenching question" <in one of those lil squeelie voices>

but i dont care, im tryin to go ---> RACIN !!!!!!! (no "g",  we be jellin :D )

ok, how qwik or how long does it take to recover from bad gas....
(no alka seltzer jokes)

if infact, i idiotically cranked my f4 with the old fuel (and it ran, then sputtered out, as if it was out of fuel)

is anyone going to be at bhf this weekend who (cheaply) could help me or instruct me on what to do if this is the case, ... i dabble with the bike, but am not the trouble isolater that i will be (soon!)

i suspect this, and the local shop is swamped, dropped them off anyway and begged for a two day turn around, but got no promise...  so i may be showing up and jogging around the track ...

:'(
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

sdiver68

How old was the gas?

Modern name brand gasolines should be good for 4 months or so before they start to break down...that life can be extended with additives.

Did you check the fuel filter?  All the fuel connections?  Are you getting spark?
MCRA Race School Instructor

Dawn

Ike:

Bad gas may have fouled the plugs or gummed up the carbs.  Drain the gas and put new plugs in it.  See if it will run.

Dawn  

tzracer

Drain the tank, if it is anything like the RC51 (fuel injected), it is easiest to siphon the tank (I can bring one with me Thursday afternoon to BHF). To get as much gas out of the fuel system you may need to remove the fuel line. Buy new spark plugs (could run into same problem as on the SV thread) 2 sets may not be a bad idea. Refill the tank with new gas and give it a try.

If it has carbs, drain tank, carbs. Put in new plugs, refill with new gas and give it a try.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Chef

QuoteHow old was the gas?

Modern name brand gasolines should be good for 4 months or so before they start to break down...that life can be extended with additives.

Did you check the fuel filter?  All the fuel connections?  Are you getting spark?

I  dont wanna be, but im so stupid..
checked the filters, but didnt have one, didnt want to get it and still hv trbl, then run outa time.. dmmt i sukk. how bout 6 mos. on the gas...
im trustin my buddy at the shop to look at it and guide me, but i may well bring this trbl to the track...

i cannot afford to not be a mechanic!
going into training, anyone needin an extra pair of hands this season, i can help and train at the same time.

Thanks for the Replies!!! i have a better idea, and was thinking of the plugs too, but not confident enough..

(D_Dave)
thats me on Mike Shock's RC51 in his garage as i dropped off my f2 to get worked on....thanks Craig !!! and Mike....
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Dawn

Ike:

Paul has a bit of McGuyver in him (good thing otherwise we could never afford this sport).  We should be down there this weekend.  Bring your bike by.

Dawn   :)

Speedballer347

I had this happen on an old Hurricane once....wouldn't run right until the carbs were disassembled and hosed w/ Gumout...then ran fine.

If the new plugs and gas doesn't fix it, try pulling the carbs apart.  Good luck.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

KBOlsen

And if Paul's busy... come down the road and talk to John!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Chef

Tanks yall .....

imona go ahead and blow one;

didnt wanna start a thread, but since im in a bahahahad mood....
gotta send a "shout-out" to synergy...(srt)

Acapelo bought one of their f4's at Road-A last season when i blew a motor.
im thinking "HEL YEAH" !!! a FUSA bike, GOTTA be fast.... :)

so in short, i put it on the dyno last week for the tweak-tune....
the bike was making 74.7 horses  :o
advancer turned waaay back, 4 bolts holdin it, so the fall in daytona didnt do it..
go figure,... Acapelo waited 2 hrs for them to prep it ....

thought i had at least a supersport (it felt fast) (musta been mental)
got it back to stock now, i should really be fast now !!!

Jeff

Ike, gas life depends more on temperature than straight age.  Meaning gas that sits out in the sun/heat for a few weeks will be crap while gas that's in 30-40deg shade will last significantly longer.

From your brother who knows the F4  ;)

Pull the tank and drain it

Pull the carbs, drain them, pull off the tops & bottoms, spray them out with gumout and then some compressed air.  Then put it back together and go...

Total down time about 3 hours...

You could probably replace the plugs while you're there since it's easiest from the top and it won't hurt.

If you refuse to follow this, you can try new gas, but all that's gonna do is mean you've got MORE gas to dispose of, and you're pushing out the inevatable...  ::)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Chef

Maaaan, I miss you guys !!!!!,

but dont go tryin to mickie fikkin hug me at the track,

sep for da ladies......... ;D

cabbage996

Chef make sure you change the plugs on your bike after you drain the gas and clean the carbs.  I had new plugs in my sv and tried to crank it over with bad gas and it wouldn't run.  We were banging our heads against the wall for a few days trying to figure it out.  Turns out the bad gas must have fouled or screwed up the plugs somehow.  She runs great with the new ones.