News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What a Bad weekend at PBIR!

Started by Fast Cletus, May 04, 2009, 10:50:38 AM

Fast Cletus

I must share this.  My weekend at PBIR has to be my worst weekend racing I have ever encountered, but then I have only been racing for a year,

Saturday:     I got to the track Saturday early to get set up and be ready when Tech opens.  For whatever reason it took awhile to set up, go through registration, and then tech lines were huge.  So I passed tech, and then I needed the guys at Moto Corse to bleed my front brakes as I had just installed new lines.  By the time I had that completed, 1st call for experts had already been made. Which means I had about 30 or so  minutes before combined would go out.  I get back to my pit and start to put my warmers on and noticed on my rear wheel that I had not put my washer on that goes between the swing arm and rim.  So off goes the back tire.  takes me about 15 min or so to accomplish this task (3rd Call Combined).  Tire is back on, and I am getting suited up.  I had washed the inside of my helmet, but forgot to put it back together.  10 minutes later I am on the bike and heading out on the track.  Lap one all goes fine, taking it easy warming up tires, loosening myself up.  Turn 4 comes up, and I am not pushing hard, but back end comes out from under me.  CRASH  1, RIDE 1 in Crash truck.  I am fine, but bike suffered right clip on damage and some plastic damage.  Back in the pits i commence to repair my items.  After all is repaired, I go and buy a new back tire, as I feel thats the main reason I went down,  Bike is back up and ready to ride.  Now we are at lunch.  I decide to install the new rear sprocket, because I am topping out on the back straight way to early.  I go from a 15/42 to a 15/38.  I get the new sprocket installed, and have a little down time before I go out. Next thing I look at my watch and see that its 5:00pm.  I have to leave by 5:30 to get to an event on Las Olas.  So that means one more session and I am done for the day.  I have competed maybe 3 laps so far today.  So I get back out on track and my goal was just to ride smooth and learn my new rear sprocket.  Lap one coming out of the last turn by S/F the damn chain breaks.  RIDE 2 in Crash truck.  I go and buy a  new chain and thankfully the guys at Moto Corse install my chain after I leave the track. 
Sunday     I am all set and ready to go for practice. I have lost my virginity as yesterday was the first time I ever went down.  So I have that out of the way, and definitely think my bad luck had runs its course.  So my goal at this point in time was just to complete practice, and ride smooth.  Tires warmers have been on for 45-hour.  All suited up and ready to hit the track. Taking it easy all the way around lap one.  Test out my gearing on the back straight and its perfect, topping out 3/4 or so down the straight.  Hard brake in to right hander,  calm and smooth around right hander, flick left and gas easy.......  Up up and away.  next thing I know I am sliding on the asphalt, heading towards the wall.  Airfence stops the bike, and don't recall if I hit it the fence or not.  In any event I stop rolling and get my bearing straight, and stand up.  Knee hurts like a mother.  I hop over to the air fence, and wait.  CRASH 2 Ride 3 in crash truck.  Get back to the pits, bike doesn't look too bad, but knee starts to swell.  Head home and go get knee checked out, all good nothing broke just twisted, get MRI later this week just to be safe. Crutches and knee brace for a few days.

So here is my recap
CCS Entry Fees - $260
Fuel for weekend $60
Rear Tire $200
chain $125
Entrance to PBIR $30

3 laps completed = $225

Please tell me someone else has had a worse weekend than me, so I don't feel like such a schmuck
CCS Racer #552
2001 Ducati Monster 600 & 2001 Ducati Supersport 900

Speedkills

tug296

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Noidly1

Damn. That sucks...

Better luck next time!
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

MELK-MAN

yes, could be worse.. but not often.
Take the time to prepare better. No point in even going out on track if ya can't take 5 minutes before the session to just collect yourself and take a breath.
Chain breaking? Have seen very very few do that and it was usually a poorly installed master link, OR having had adjusted the chain with NO slack. Having just done a major gearing change the latter could have been the case.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

skipper08

Gus Sanchez
CCS EX #300 & ASRA #300

Fast Cletus

melk man, i agree the chain breaking was a strange thing to happen. but I did have it installed by a professional at the track.  I also agree I shouldn't have rushed to get on the track the first session.  It had been a while sice I was on the track so I was a little anxious.  I will say I did learn a lot of lessons this past weekend.  Patience, in the pits, patience on the track. I will be back again
CCS Racer #552
2001 Ducati Monster 600 & 2001 Ducati Supersport 900

Ducmarc

i was wondering who that was in the air fence .I never promise myself that i will make first round of practice that way if something goes wrong I'm not disappointed and in a rush. unless I'm at Daytona then evey round counts.  we worked steady on our bike all weekend gaining only 2 rounds of practice. we did get third in thunderbike the first race the bike has run in 2 weekend attempts I have to take may hat off to Mark Tenn who rode my bike to 3rd place after leading the first 2 corners against Kevin Mendez and holding off Chris Sullivan for three laps after only 2 rounds of practice ever on that thing 1.25's ain't bad for that old junk on Michelin take offs from daytona

jigs

Well they say adversity builds character.....you just got a dose,can only get better for you.I've had a couple days like that where everything's got hair on it!!

ScubaSteve

I can top that! :biggrin:

Feb 05 Homestead.......Win 1st 3 races my 4th race Thunderbike crash on warm-up lap breaking neck and rollin in a chair from then on! Sad thing is I ran my fastest laps ever that weekend 31's on a SV :biggrin:

Glad your okay and the Moto-Corse guys are pretty cool!

Steve

CCS FL

roadracer162

Well, for me the weekend cold be dismal. I got the holeshot in both my races only to lose the lead on both occasions. That is all.

Sorry for your misfortune Jim. I couldn't believe the rotten weekend you were having and it was a shame to see you go home early. Next weekend stop going so fast.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.