When to downshift - before or after braking??

Started by rossifumi, March 31, 2003, 04:41:14 AM

rossifumi

How does everyone organize their downshifts & braking?? For example, coming into a corner, do you roll off, get your downshifts in, and then brake - or do you roll off, brake, and then downshift? Personally, I downshift and then brake, but I've been thinking about switching it up. However, I feel the transition into the tun is smoother when all I have to do is let off the brake and lean it in. I want to try to limit how unsettled the bike feels as I lean it into a corner. Any idea's??

TZDeSioux

tigerblade

You'll probably get both answers on this.  At STAR school, Pridmore told us that he gets his shifting done as soon as possible so he can be in the right gear for the corner.  Why not use engine braking to help you slow down?   I don't blip the throttle; just let the clutch out slowly after each downshift.  Then all I have to do is let off the brake and lean in.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

tzracer

I tend to do my downshifting during the last half to third of my braking. During the first half to 2/3rds of the braking area I like to concentrate on braking, then do my downshifts as rapidly as possible. For each corner, I know the number of downshifts to make. I let the clutch out between shifts, like tigerblade I don't blip the throttle (spent most of my racing on 2 strokes - seems to work ok on RC51), just let out the clutch - not so bad doing it for each downshift. It works for me, may not work for you.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

R6Chris760

I have to agree with tz, I downshift gradually while braking.  Remebering the number of downshifts is also important.  There's nothing worse than going down too many gears and getting that big surprise when you start to let the clutch out and the rear wants to lock up!!!  

Super_KC124

QuoteI have to agree with tz, I downshift gradually while braking.  Remebering the number of downshifts is also important.  There's nothing worse than going down too many gears and getting that big surprise when you start to let the clutch out and the rear wants to lock up!!!  
Or when you've just changed to a GP shift pattern and you up shift a couple gears going into a corner. Talk about a drive killer. I guess that's better than accidently downshifting coming out of a corner. :o
I downshift about half way through my braking.

MightyDuc Racing

I downshift towards the middle of my braking, I guess.  I think the most important thing is to do what you are most comfortable with.  I 110% agree with these guys on the downshift count.  I have no idea what gear I'm in usually  ;D but I sure know how many times I need to downshift into each corner.  Good luck.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Bernie

I think the type of bike may dictate as well.  I ride a big twin with no slipper clutch.  It has pretty significant engine braking that I think complicates things while braking.  I try to get as much speed scrubbed off with the brakes and then bang downshifts in quick succession towards the end of the braking zone.

davegsxrold929r

as soon as i start braking i take my first down shift., and if it is a couple downshifts to that turn., i do all of them at once., and have tried to stop using the engine braking,.,. and blip and ease out the clutch when you are at the speed you want as you tip it into the turn while still on the brakes...

everybody does it different ., you just need to find what you like. , try all these and see what works for you.,,.

Decreasing_Dave

I knock the first couple of shifts out right away.  Then I use the last downshift (with a slide of the clutch) to back it in.  This USUALLY works well.  I have, however, slid off of the track sideways while desperately trying to get the rear to hook again. ;D

FastBoy

I have been racing both my R1 and R6 and find that each bike likes to be down shifted differently. The R6 with it's high revving engine almost demands you blip the throttle which I do towards the end of hard braking. The R1 however I can just feather the clutch without blipping and it stays composed even after mulitple downshifts. I tried this on my R6 and immediatley broke the rear end lose. I imagine the guy behind me yesterday thought I was trying to back it in to a couple of corners. What he didn't realize is that they were both accidental slides and scared the crap outta me. No more feathering the clutch on the R6 after those two turns.

Super Dave

QuoteHow does everyone organize their downshifts & braking?? For example, coming into a corner, do you roll off, get your downshifts in, and then brake - or do you roll off, brake, and then downshift? Personally, I downshift and then brake, but I've been thinking about switching it up. However, I feel the transition into the tun is smoother when all I have to do is let off the brake and lean it in. I want to try to limit how unsettled the bike feels as I lean it into a corner. Any idea's??

You need to brake before down shifting.  I'll carry the brakes to the apex at most corners, so one should downshift while braking.

"The engine is not a brake!"

But there is always some chassis input coming from the engine, even in a two-stroke...just not as much as a four-stroke.  Put it into a false neutral and you'll feel the difference in the chassis.

Downshifts should be done after you've got the bike slowed down a bit where you can safely keep it from over-revving and trashing the motor...  
Super Dave