News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Fork Oil

Started by Fast4fun, March 28, 2009, 02:52:47 PM

Fast4fun

What effect would changing the fork oil level have on handling? If I lower it or raise it relative to manufacturer instructions? And, what weight oil do you use? Do you change the oil weight  throughout the season?
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Super Dave

Changing the oil height increases/reduces the air volume.  Air can be compressed, the oil can't.  Usually, one will use oil level to give the bottom of the stroke a little feel, if one is looking for it.  Put too much oil in it, and it will essentially "bottom" earlier.  It has more travel, but it can't get there because of the oil, compressed air, and the spring.  Usually, I look for someone that has some information specific to the model for oil level heights.

Weight?  I think if you had a really good cartridge system, you'd look to have as light of a weight of oil as possible so that the oil is similar through it's range of operation.  Specifically, it's cold starting temperatures in "cold" and "warm" weather vs operating temperatures.  Might be a 5-10 weight on a well set up cartridge.  I seem to like 15 weight oil in OEM cartridges with no modifications.  On a damper rod fork, similar ideology, but an unmodified damper rod can be made to work better with 30wt oil, but it's a bit slow when outside temperatures are below 55 degrees. 

Maybe that gives you some ideas.
Super Dave

Fast4fun

Thanks Dave. That's pretty much what I thought. I had the stock forks revalved by TSE back in the day and I don't have any of Ed's notes. Maybe you can give me an idea about weight. Ed revalved with the Racetech G2R gold (or something like that) and I know he adjusted the shim stacks. I don't have any complaints about his setup but the forks are due for new oil. Where would you start with the weight?

I use 5wt on my dirt bike with stock forks but I'm a much less serious dirt rider.... not that I call myself a serious road racer, it's just relative i guess.

Is there any chance that the new owners of TSE would have Ed's notes?
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

Scotty Ryan

We might feel free to give us a call and we can take a look at the customer notes that we do have... PM sent

Quote from: Fast4fun on March 28, 2009, 07:39:40 PM
Thanks Dave. That's pretty much what I thought. I had the stock forks revalved by TSE back in the day and I don't have any of Ed's notes. Maybe you can give me an idea about weight. Ed revalved with the Racetech G2R gold (or something like that) and I know he adjusted the shim stacks. I don't have any complaints about his setup but the forks are due for new oil. Where would you start with the weight?

I use 5wt on my dirt bike with stock forks but I'm a much less serious dirt rider.... not that I call myself a serious road racer, it's just relative i guess.

"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

Quote from: Fast4fun on March 28, 2009, 07:39:40 PM
Yeah, Scotty and Mark have it all.  And check your PM's!
Super Dave