News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Mid-west tire suggestions

Started by OmniGLH, March 27, 2003, 03:37:49 PM

OmniGLH

Curious to know if anybody's got some tire suggestions for BHF next week.  With the weather fluctuating all over the place, I don't know if it's gonna be 65 and sunny or 35 and rain.

Was thinking that if it's gonna be on the cold side of things, with temps below 50, that I was just gonna run street tires for Rosno on Thursday and the open practice on Friday -  instead of the usual Michelin S2/M2 setup.  I'm thinking they'll grip better in the cold than a set of cold race tires.  I ran 207ZRs last year when I took the LCR school in, uh, May I think?  It was pretty cold that weekend, I wanna say it was in the 40s (Scott, you were there....)  I didn't have any problems running the 207Zrs.  But I was also a lot slower then.

How cold do you guys run on race comp tires?  Always?  Or is there a point where you switch to a street comp?
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Super Dave

I'll use tire warmers and use race tires.  Never switched back to streets.  

Suspension is cold too, so you've got to get that warm.  That can be a big issue.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

And the pavement is new.  Apparently, it's supposed to be a bit more abrasive, which might help the cold weather traction at Blackhawk, which has always kind of been an issue.
Super Dave

FastBoy

QuoteAnd the pavement is new.  Apparently, it's supposed to be a bit more abrasive, which might help the cold weather traction at Blackhawk, which has always kind of been an issue

Sounds like a prescription for cold tearing some tires. Warm 'em good before you tear into 'em...get it?  ;D

r1owner

QuoteIt was pretty cold that weekend, I wanna say it was in the 40s (Scott, you were there....)  I didn't have any problems running the 207Zrs.  But I was also a lot slower then.

HEHE!!! Yeah, my sparkling new leathers had perforations all the way to the knee....and boy did they work!!!!! ;)

That is why I decided to pass on next weekends race up there.  To iffy on the weather.  I'll be there in (I think it is) May.

You're faster now??  :o  Dude, I'm glad I am not racing against you, cause you went around me like I was sitting still!

OmniGLH

QuoteHEHE!!! Yeah, my sparkling new leathers had perforations all the way to the knee....and boy did they work!!!!! ;)

That is why I decided to pass on next weekends race up there.  To iffy on the weather.  I'll be there in (I think it is) May.

You're faster now??  :o  Dude, I'm glad I am not racing against you, cause you went around me like I was sitting still!

Ya it was really cold that weekend.  Actually, if I remember, he actual RIDING wasn't too bad.  It was AFTERWARDS that it sucked.  Sitting in the pits, or sitting in that FREEZING classroom.  Getting out on the bike and working up a sweat was actually fairly
comfortable.

As for being faster... ya, I started to work out some of the kinks.  I've knocked ~5 seconds off my average lap times since that day you saw me... and hope to knock 1-2 more off after next weekend.  ;D
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

sdiver68

Jim,

Yeah, You and Dano should definitely get some street tires...they are great in cold weather  ;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteI took the LCR school in, uh, May I think?  
No, you may not think.  That's not allowed until your third season.  Look in the rulebook.  At least you were polite enough to ask first.

Just kidding!!! ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

DanO966

QuoteJim,

Yeah, You and Dano should definitely get some street tires...they are great in cold weather  ;D
LOL ;)
Uhhhh Sure...
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

EX#996

Paul and Dawn Buxton