News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Claiming a Factory ride?

Started by chris_chops, March 27, 2003, 03:40:16 AM

chris_chops

Would anybody out there actually claim a motorcycle or parts from a factory team as per the AMA's claiming rules.  Do these rules still exist?  
      I realise if there was mass claiming the factories would get mad and put tons of pressure on the AMA to toss the rules.  I also realise that claiming wouldn't garauntee privateers running up front against Miguel and company.  But admit it, it sure would be nice to ride one of those factory bikes, even with the huge target on your back!

Matt  

sdiver68

I remember someone claiming some of Miguels and a few others stuff a couple of years ago.  In fact, I think there was a lawsuit in 1 case because the claimed parts were pretty messed up (sabotaged intentionally?).  Max @ Traxxion took apart a pair of Miguels SS forks and said they were nothing special...in fact not as good as some privateers.  And, if I remember right, the Honda 600SS bike that was claimed made 118 RWHP.  Again, who knows what they did to it prior to handing it over.

MCRA Race School Instructor

numbskullz58

factory bike.  retail + 1500
getting run off the track by kurtis roberts. priceless

Super Dave

Yes, Miguel's bike apparently made some pretty serious HP.  Not even build F4's made that much power.  

That bike went directly to impound after the race.  The AMA claimed it (they used to always do that to the winning 600 at Daytona), and then they sold it for the retail price plus $1500 to a guy.  So, that bike should have been an as raced Daytona version.

Max did go through some of the stuff.  But there might be something, a detail, that could be missed.  That would be important.

A friend of mine claimed the titanium exhaust off a Muzzy bike.

Retail plus $1500.  Is that still in the books?  Let's see, shock and bodywork.  Done.

Yoshimura apparently marred a set of superbike forks.

As a top privateer, you would not be looked at very highly by the teams if you claimed parts.  I worked with Dale Quarterley a bit, and he tried to get carbs for his RC30 at the time.  There were different carbs that would have helped, but they refused to sell them to him.  He could claim them, but....

There are games played at a certain level.

Super Dave

fourandsix

In the AMA you cannot claim a complete Motorcycle only the AMA can do that. Then when they are thru with it they sell it off , sometimes not assembled. The last bike that was claimed was miggy's but it wasn't that fast as the guy who claimed it pretty much sucked on it. i saw it at the next round and it sure didn't have 118hp.
Over the years i have claimed parts such as pipes and ignition boxes, yes maybe they get a little pissed but that passes after awhile , I would encourage people to claim parts , the thing is you can only do it one time per season and the specific rider whose part you claim can't have it claimed for the rest of the year.