News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Bucci belts on a Ducati

Started by skiandclimb, February 10, 2009, 01:57:54 PM

skiandclimb

I apologize if I am beating a dead horse here, but I was wondering about running Bucci belts on my 996. Basically, I am looking for a more cost effective belt than the OEM "Red Letter kevlar" belt everyone taks about. I also found "Poly-Belts" has an OEM replacement (super cheap- $45.00 a pair) but I haven't heard any reviews on them, and being that they are polyester reinforced doesnt make me feel to good about them...

So- anyone here running the Bucci belts on their 4v Duc? And if so, how do they last as compared to the red letter jobs?

Chris from Cacycleworks sings their praises...anyone else?

Cheers,

Ski   :thumb:
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

123user

Here's my wax on replacement belts.  The 10mm Powergrip HTD toothform used on the DS and 4V is proprietary to Gates.  It appears that they were developed by Gates, for, and only for Ducati.  Unless someone knows different. I'd assume the Bucci belts are not made by Gates.  Most of the HTD toothforms are considered "open-source" by now, however the one used on Duc's are not... proceed cautiously.  The Bucci belts may never break, but if you're using aluminum timing pulleys you could see some accelerated wear because the tooth ain't exactly right. 

I see that you're MCRA, so I'll assume that you're in STL.  Me too... I buy most of my OEM Duc stuff from Ducati-Omaha.  The only time I buy from Donelsons is if they just happen to have the part that I need in stock... 'cause they are waaaay too high!  I'll be at the MCRA meeting tonight.

skiandclimb

I agree with Donelson's. If you'd like my personal feelings, PM me....I'll leave it at that. lol

Yeah, I am in St. Louis. I won't be able to make the General Meeting tonight, as I am on midnights. Should be a busy one though, as we are getting closer and closer to the season.  There's actually a lot of the MCRA gang here on the CCS boards.  I help out on the board with marketing and whatnot.  I am definitely fired up about our group becoming the GP affiliate for GIR. It's going to be good for the racing community here, and our admin run a tight, fun-going ship.

Drop me a PM sometime if you'd like, with your #. I'd love to pick your brain a bit.

Cheers,

Chris
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

skiandclimb

BTW- I read on a number of diff. boards that many people say the Bucci's are actually from Gates, running with the Bucci name, for what its worth.

I think I'll go ahead and get a set.  At $60 a set, it falls between the overtly expensive OEM's and the uber cheap Poly belts. 

-Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com

Jason748

Yep, The last set of Bucci's I got were actaully the OEM / Gates red letter belts... But that was a few years ago.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

backMARKr

Quote from: Jason748 on February 10, 2009, 11:22:39 PM
Yep, The last set of Bucci's I got were actaully the OEM / Gates red letter belts... But that was a few years ago.

"Bartlett cannot be trusted" :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

123user

That's good to know.  I think that I paid $49 each last time, which is a small price to pay for added enjoyable-frustration of racing a Ducati. 

skiandclimb

I just ordered a set from Ducati-Omaha but they weren't Bucci's. I think they were Phillips Motorsports, but they are the Kevlar type. Got 'em for $34.95 each.....not bad. P.S. These are in stock if anyone is in need of a new set.

HTH,
Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
www.mcraracing.com