News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

HPT Questions

Started by R1Racer99, February 04, 2009, 08:34:36 PM

R1Racer99

I'll be going to HPT for the first time in April and had a couple questions. First how are the camping and garages and how much do they cost? Is the camping nice like BHF or shitty like MAM? Do you need a garage spot to get electricity or do they have it outside?

Also, I've heard it's a pretty safe track but after Brian Hall's nasty crash last year I was wondering what that kink is like. I'm assuming it's the left kink on the front straight? I've been watching the SCCA runoffs to try to get an idea but the cars are going through there alot slower. Is this a dangerous area or was it more of a fluke?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to ask, what's the turnout usually like? 

Greg_Williams

Can't imagine any camping comparing with MAM because it always rains at MAM.  Garages are available, havn't heard yet what the cost will be for 2009 but they're reasonable.  Big enough for three or four people to split.  There are a limited number of electrical outlets available outside the garages but they go quick as you might imagine.  I can't say that I've paid that much attention because I usually bring a generator if I'm not in a garage. 

I've raced on more dangerous tracks but HPT does have it's share of walls.  The gut feeling that I get there is not nearly as scary as Gateway.  The AMA visit will result in changes but not necessarily by April.  The kink that you refer to is called  turn alpha.  It is definitely a hazard but again many tracks have far worse exposure.  HPT is committed to continued development and they have made great strides and they're definitely not going to stop.  It's a good layout and a good surface.

I'm not sure what to compare turnout to for you as I don't know where you normally race but turnout seems to grow every year for the past three or four years.  Check last seasons results to get an idea.
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

R1Racer99

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot.

As for that kink, is it full throttle on a 600? It looks kind of like turn 2 at BHF except maybe a little more straight. I would assume that if there had been many crashes at that speed I'd probably hear more about it but that one last year freaks me out a bit.

howlieboy

Here is some footage of 600's at HPT.  I would compare the kink at HPT to the kink before the last turn at BHF, except it's slightly uphill which unloads the suspension a bit, then you're pretty hard on the brakes after you crest the hill while you are slightly leaned over.  I could see how someone could lose the front end there.  I really think you'll enjoy the track.  It's one of the nicest tracks in the Midwest for sure.

Kurt
www.d2cycles.com
www.caferacerinc.com

Burt Munro

What Greg and Kurt said!!!  :thumb:

I'll see if I can summarize for you as I've been to both tracks a lot since CCS started running there again in 2003.

Camping - good and bad.  I think of Blackhawk as being like a State Park for camping.  Topeka really has no provisions for camp fires - it may even be illegal there.  I can't say that I've seen anyone build one.  There definitely is no firewood available on site like at Blackhawk.  There's also virtually no tree producing shade at Topeka.  Most of what's available for camping is on asphalt but there are some strips of grass in the paddock if you are setting up a tent.

Showers and Bathrooms - take the new facilities at Blackhawk and multiply that by about 5 and you'll have Topeka!  There must be close to 20 (free!) showers in the huge new Tech building that is only a couple years old.

Garages - not sure on the cost but I'm sure it's reasonable if you are splitting it 2, 3 or 4 ways.  Late April in Topeka can be a challenge.  Last year we froze our butts off and it was rainy and very windy - destroyed my tent!  If you can put the garage rental into the budget I'd go for it.   External electric I believe is limited to the lower paddock and is mostly setup for RV's to connect.

Turnout - hard to put a finger on that.  Last year everything was down.  Probably a toss up for this year with gas/fuel prices much lower than in recent years, but more people either out of work or worried about losing their jobs.  My wild ass guess - somewhere between an MAM turnout and a Blackhawk weekend.

Track - The kink or 'alpha' at Topeka - think of putting the kink at Blackhawk (6a) at the end of Blackhawk's front straight and then throw about a 20' quick up and down elevation change into the middle of the kink and then setup going downhill for turn 7 at Blackhawk.  Brian would have to fill in the details as to where exactly between the kink and turn #1 his incident started.

I was at Topeka twice in '08.  Last year turn 1 and 2 had two different configurations.  In April we ran the more squared off, 90 degree turn combination for both 1 & 2.  When I was there in August we ran the higher speed, more diagonal alignment for 1 & 2.   The faster
configuration of course then causes you to carry more speed into turn 3 which is a slightly banked carousel.  I haven't heard which configuration will be run in April.  As Greg mentioned, there may be additional modifications coming to how 1 & 2 are set up due to AMA input for their race this summer.  Whether or not that will be in place by the end of April is another question.

Overall, Topeka has made a major, multi, multi million dollar face lift to the faciltiy over the last 2 1/2 years.  Mike Casey, who is one of Manager's of the track used to live near Blackhawk in Wisconsin and was a fixture in CCS Midwest racing for a number of years and still seems to find time to run an occasional race weekend at Blackhawk each year.  HIs input into the operation of Heartland Park is great for motorcycle racing.  That combined with the committment of track owner Raymond Irwin (who use to own Blackhawk with his brother) to make Heartland Park a premier, national level race facility has been a great thing for everyone involved in motorcycle racing.  They want to run things right and it shows!
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Scotty Ryan

HPT is a great facility - You'll love the layout, the track crew and the whole atmosphere. I would have to say it is one of my favorite local tracks for sure. 
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

R1Racer99

Thanks for the insight Burt, that answers pretty much everything for me. Hopefully the weather is a little better than it was last April, I imagine the kinks with walls on either side might be a little more frightening if it's cold and wet. The rest of the track looks like a blast though, looking forward to it.

G-reg

Garages were $300 for the weekend in 2007.
--Greg
MW EX#84