News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

performance index?

Started by Rick Johnson 29, December 28, 2008, 09:14:52 PM

vnvbandit

Quote from: HAWK on January 07, 2009, 09:22:45 PM
How about running as an amateur in ULWSB, and being scored against the experts? Then seeing what it does to your PI in the other classes.

There will always be problems but then this is really about having fun right?

Just looked at the March Daytona schedule.  Sunday race #8   ULSB EX/AM.....  so they are now scored separate right?  OOPS should be "ULWSB"
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

HAWK

ULSB would be UnLimited SuperBikeI believe and they were always scored separately, It was Ultralightweight that was scored together last year. With the SV moving to Ultralight I can't see any possible reason to score AM and EX together next year.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Rick Johnson 29

Thanks kl3640. That's how I thought it worked. I will say there is lots of fast racers in the mw class.I'm still learning the bike but actually went .85 of a second faster around VIR in Sept. than I did on the 1000. So it has helped with my cornerspeed and I will try to transition that over to the 1000. Both class are fun to race and both bikes present their own challenges. I think learning to go fast on both will make me a better rider. IMO  Thanks for the help guys.
Rick Johnson
Expert 29, ASRA 291, Wera 29
2011 SE Unlimited SS Champ                                                               
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

MELK-MAN

Riding 2 different bikes is not easy. Especially on a typical ccs weekend if you do a bunch of classes. Going back and forth, back and forth on 600 to 1000 is TOUGH. Especially in a 6 lap sprint where you can not afford to take a lap or so to "get up to speed". Do that in the expert class and everyone is gone.
SOME riders are truely gifted and can run up near the front on any bike at any time, even back to back. It is not the same as even riding a 600 1 day and a 1000 on the other.. That is easier than going back and forth on both bikes all day. Then you have set up on 2 bikes as well.. Gearing, tire choice, suspension at the same track for 2 different bikes..
The extra HP as many have found is not an instant "pill" to go faster.. even good riders go slower initially then perhaps eventually go faster consistantly on the 1k. For me? im done with 1000's for awhile and am enjoying the 600's..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

LMsports

My issue with the PI is that it kills  you for mechanicals/crashes. Run into a bit of bad luck early and you can land in a hole you can't get out of.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

JBraun

then don't crash, stupid.  :kissy:
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Rick Johnson 29

Melk-Man yeah it is somewhat difficult switching from one to the other.My first sportbike ever is my R1 which I have gotten to know pretty well.Took it to the track for the first time in March 07.Found out I could only do 4 races a weekend on it so last April I picked up the R6 to race some.Had a back to back race at VIR in Sept. Went out for a MW race think I got 11th rushed right in jumped on the R1 just making it out for the warm up lap and ran the GTO getting 8th.I won't say it was easy but think I handled it ok.It probally would have been alittle tougher in the summer.I workout regularlly which helps also.It would be easier and cheaper to just race one but I really enjoy racing both.I guess if it becomes to difficult or I can't afford it I'll just race one or the other.I did 8 races at VIR in Sept. and 7 in June there.See guys at CMP.
Rick Johnson
2011 2nd MA GTO,UnlimitedSB,SS,GP                                                   08 Suzuki GSXR 1000

GSXR RACER MIKE

Rick Johnson 29: Not sure if you know who Melk-Man is or not, but I think it would be safe to say that the pace your running and the pace he's running are quite different. There is somewhat of a 'bell-curve' of traction when it comes to racing bikes with excessive power, you don't really appreciate that till your one of the ones running some of the fastest lap times at race events. Going back and forth between racing a 600 and a 1000 at an event isn't near as difficult when your running slower than 110% of the fastest racers lap times, doing it at 105% and faster is a whole different story.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

MELK-MAN

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on January 09, 2009, 05:30:04 PM
Rick Johnson 29: Not sure if you know who Melk-Man is or not, but I think it would be safe to say that the pace your running and the pace he's running are quite different. There is somewhat of a 'bell-curve' of traction when it comes to racing bikes with excessive power, you don't really appreciate that till your one of the ones running some of the fastest lap times at race events. Going back and forth between racing a 600 and a 1000 at an event isn't near as difficult when your running slower than 110% of the fastest racers lap times, doing it at 105% and faster is a whole different story.

Not that im "all that" but I was going to point out that as Mike said it is harder than one thinks when running at that magic 5 seconds of lap record pace. The top national riders going at close to lap records (Wood,Jensen, Knapp,Starnes,etc) have extraordinary ability to do this, and riding often helps. I rode a 1000 for a season and could only ride it withn 3 seconds of lap record pace at 1 track..Homestead. I was only 1/2 a second faster than my 600 at my "home" track JenningsGP after 6 months on the thing. Robeling i always was better on the 1000, but only cause i could ride the 1000 like the 600 there (sweeping corners). Some tracks i only went as fast, and was visibly not as comfortable on the bike as my 600.
     When it worked well the 1000 was a blast, spin up the rear, wheelies in check, no headshake, etc. But when something with the setup was not quite right it was a friggin handfull and i longed to get back on my little r6 for some fun.
     Have fun with it and learn to exploit the strengths of both bikes, but what mike was stating is the truth. All of us mortals can "ride" any bike and have fun. Pushing to stay within respectable lap times of the top riders is VERY hard on a 1000 (or any bike), and jumping from 600 to 1000 a few times in a day and riding within 5% of lap record pace takes "superhuman" ability .. lol.. which I lack, but wish i posessed.

Rick Johnson 29

I'm sure I'll probally be better off just racing the 600.Even though I've placed alittle better on the 1000 but still just learning the 600.I'll start out the season on both but will probally end up mostly racing the 600.It is easier to ride and race and I'm glad I got it.Just kinda hard to let go of my first bike.I don't know Melk-Man or many CCS racers since I'm really new to it.Just looking for some good advice.Sounds like Melk-Man is really fast to be running lap records or right with them.I still have alot to learn about track riding and racing.I'm always willing to learn from more experienced riders.I know I'm not fast but set goals for myself.In Sept. my fastest lap at VIR was a 1.39:072.I was happy to see that time since I was running a 40 to 42 in June.So I've set a realistic goal of dropping 2 seconds there this year or a high 36 for me would be sweet.I'm no where near superhuman lol
Rick Johnson

MELK-MAN

Quote from: Rick Johnson 29 on January 09, 2009, 09:54:12 PM
I'm sure I'll probally be better off just racing the 600.Even though I've placed alittle better on the 1000 but still just learning the 600.I'll start out the season on both but will probally end up mostly racing the 600.It is easier to ride and race and I'm glad I got it.Just kinda hard to let go of my first bike.I don't know Melk-Man or many CCS racers since I'm really new to it.Just looking for some good advice.Sounds like Melk-Man is really fast to be running lap records or right with them.I still have alot to learn about track riding and racing.I'm always willing to learn from more experienced riders.I know I'm not fast but set goals for myself.In Sept. my fastest lap at VIR was a 1.39:072.I was happy to see that time since I was running a 40 to 42 in June.So I've set a realistic goal of dropping 2 seconds there this year or a high 36 for me would be sweet.I'm no where near superhuman lol

LOL... im no threat to lap records, just a good club racer that wades out into the waters of the ASRA class from time to time.
YOur times will improve as the skill improves. Stick with the 1k if you like it! I may have made a mistake staying on a 600 for too long (4 yrs or so) before i got on the big bike.
Will see ya at CMP, VIR and the SE tracks to come by and say Hi.

Rick Johnson 29

I'll look you up at CMP Greg.Any advice for gearing on the 600.I was running 15/48 at my last TD there and that seemed ok but maybe something else would be better.
Rick Johnson