News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS mailer.

Started by benprobst, November 29, 2008, 07:49:13 PM

benprobst

I was just reading through the online CCS mailer and came across something that disturbed me a bit.

"One group, the Midwest Cafe
Racers Association (MCRA), has helped run racing events at
Gateway International Raceway since 2000, but this will be their
fi rst venture into race promotion."

The MCRA was alive, well, and running races long before ccs was so much a sparkle in daddy clear channel/fusa eyes. (circa '74) I mean come on, maybe im asking too much, but I dont think its too far out of line to ask for a little research before making a national press release/mailer.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Mongo

Even I'm not sure MCRA ever ran races on their own without help from another sanctioning body.  Granted your Uncle or Dad would be more positive.

FWIW - CCS was started by Roger long before he hooked up with Gonda for the FUSA portion and he sold it to Pace/SFX following that.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Super Dave

I raced stand alone MCRA races at the old Gateway from 1987 to 1990.  WERA license was required then.  I don't remember any of the regular WERA folks being there.

Sean, when did you start doing WERA stuff?  I remember hearing about you certainly by about 1994 when an official didn't understand the difference between your name and Shane Clark.  Was a funny story.  I think that was in '94 too.
Super Dave

Mongo

I started cornerworking in 87, part time for Pro Series in 91 then full time for WERA around 93.  The Shane Clark thing was always funny, one year at the GNF people wound up calling his hotel room looking for me because our room was under Evelyne's name :) 

I thought MCRA was a WERA affiliate from their start with the actual racing but can't remember for sure.  Before my time and the late nights at the track with the MCRA peeps bs'ing about the old days tended to get fuzzy before we got to sleep... 

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Super Dave

Quote from: Mongo on November 30, 2008, 09:31:04 AM
I started cornerworking in 87, part time for Pro Series in 91 then full time for WERA around 93.  The Shane Clark thing was always funny, one year at the GNF people wound up calling his hotel room looking for me because our room was under Evelyne's name :) 

I thought MCRA was a WERA affiliate from their start with the actual racing but can't remember for sure.  Before my time and the late nights at the track with the MCRA peeps bs'ing about the old days tended to get fuzzy before we got to sleep... 
We'd probably need Ed Key to give an answer.  I started racing with WERA in 1987, so my first hand knowledge stops there too.

I know Ed raced at that track in Wentzville or where ever.  And I think that shut down in 1986 or so.  Would have been in the MCRA front yard. 

Maybe Evelyne would know more?
Super Dave

Mongo

Yeah, I guess I could ask her :)  I know WERA raced at Wentsville, something about hot tubs being drained across the racetrack and such.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

benprobst

Quote from: Mongo on November 30, 2008, 09:31:04 AM

My dad raced with MCRA at the very start of his career, I want to say it was around 1980-82. MCRA def. got more attention when they were running with WERA, but the MCRA challenge is an old series. They were very well established when they ran the I 44 series with Hallet and the Norm ( I want to say that was around your WERA time Shane  :lmao:, 92-94 range. We were the ones to break the Mcdonald win streak there, beat them in the last race on there turf and took the championship.  :thumb: Ive been looking forward to running against Tyler, but it seems he has taken a year or two off, or at least light duty.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

benprobst

Quote from: Mongo on November 30, 2008, 12:28:59 AM
Even I'm not sure MCRA ever ran races on their own without help from another sanctioning body.  Granted your Uncle or Dad would be more positive.

FWIW - CCS was started by Roger long before he hooked up with Gonda for the FUSA portion and he sold it to Pace/SFX following that.

Even you? GASP.

:biggrin:

Was it an actuall series before FUSA? I was under the impression it was a club/name thing, I was talking about there modern incarnation, either way it says on the site racing "the best motorscycle racing since 1984."  -- I thought that title was reserved for WERA national endurance racing, my mistake.  :biggrin:

This should bump my spite count - Hi Jeff!
Home of the GSXR 565

quicktoy

MONGO how do you have time to be here when you never leave WERA.com?? You must have like I do, a 2 screen setup ;-)
My return as an Amateur

Mongo

Nah, I just read quick.  Of course getting online at 6:30 in the morning to get caught up helps too.

Ben - yeah the challenge thing was MCRA specific, what we're talking about though is a little different but it really doesn't matter.  MCRA has been around and doing races for a long time and does deserve the recognition.  I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, just hard sometimes to keep track of the history.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

benprobst

Quote from: Mongo on December 01, 2008, 07:44:50 AM
Nah, I just read quick.  Of course getting online at 6:30 in the morning to get caught up helps too.

Ben - yeah the challenge thing was MCRA specific, what we're talking about though is a little different but it really doesn't matter.  MCRA has been around and doing races for a long time and does deserve the recognition.  I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, just hard sometimes to keep track of the history.

Agreed.
Home of the GSXR 565

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: Super Dave on November 30, 2008, 10:50:25 AM
We'd probably need Ed Key to give an answer.  I started racing with WERA in 1987, so my first hand knowledge stops there too.

I know Ed raced at that track in Wentzville or where ever.  And I think that shut down in 1986 or so.  Would have been in the MCRA front yard. 
Maybe Evelyne would know more?

I could always ask Pat - I'm sure he would know. He knew  Evelyne pretty well - At least that's what he led me to believe. I think Pat started in the early 80's.

Not sure if I want to open that can of worms - What do you think Dave?
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??