News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ice racing tires

Started by Fast4fun, November 26, 2008, 09:05:08 PM

Fast4fun

It looks to me that a pair of Kenda tires run ~$180 and Gold 5/8" Screws are ~$75 from Dennis Kirk. Is this all you need to make a set of ice tires? Just run the screws into the knobbies? How many screws to a knobby?

Next, how do I find out about ice racing days?
CCS Mid West EX #675
Tri 675

barney

Hi tim it's barney call me 815-218-4305
later on racer dudes

G-reg

Quote from: Fast4fun on November 26, 2008, 09:05:08 PM
It looks to me that a pair of Kenda tires run ~$180 and Gold 5/8" Screws are ~$75 from Dennis Kirk. Is this all you need to make a set of ice tires? Just run the screws into the knobbies? How many screws to a knobby? 

Depends what you want out of the tire.  If you just want to go out and screw around on the ice, that'll work.  If you want to go out racing or want a tire that really grips good, get a professionally made set.  They have a pattern to the screws and have each screw head turned a specific way.

The ones I have have 5 or 6 screws per knob..  I think the front has 800 screws and the rear has 1100 in it.  There is also a cut tire inside to keep the screws from popping the inner tube.  The tires are a royal pain to mount on the rims too because they're so stiff.  Don't forget to buy tire wraps to protect the tire when you're not on the ice.
--Greg
MW EX#84

Scotty Ryan

The professionally built tires are worth the money - Depending on the size bike you are riding - There are different people to get them from.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??