Safety wiring: Winding  ::)

Started by Nate R, March 24, 2003, 06:54:24 AM

Nate R

Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. How do you wire something so that the whole wire is twisted? I was just running wire through the bolts, pulling it taught, and twisting the ends together with a safety wire winder. So, the ends were twisted together, but the run of wire from the bolt to the anchor point/other bolt is straight wire.

So, I don't understand how to wire something so that you can twist it to look like this.

Can someone help out this newbie?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

spyderchick

Nate, come by my house and I'll show you how it's done. I'm the saftey wire master!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Nate R

Thanx! You gonna be around tomorrow afternoon?

If anyone else wants to take the time to explain it still, I'd appreciate it. If I can get it that way, I can save me and save Alexa some time.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

funksouljon

This would be for only the 2 caliper bolts.
Single strand of safetywire 8 inches long. Push one end through the top (or bottom) hole that has been drilled on the bolt head and pull the 2 ends so that they look like a U. Cross the 2 single strands at @ the same length as the distance from the 2 bolt heads and clamp down on the 2 single strands with the safetywire pliers. Operate so the wire twists the length of wire between the bolt head you are pulling against and the one pliers. One end will twist and the other will be 2 single wires that try to snag on everything. Take one end of the single strand and push it through the hole in the 2nd bolt head. Pull the 2 single strands semi tight, and cross the single wires, twist.
Make sense?

FUBAR606

Nate,

It's not all that hard once you've done it a few times. Basically you think of the whole twist in 3 sections (or however many connection points your doing). Obviously you need enough safety wire to connect points A to B to C, etc.

From there it is just a matter of running the wire through your first hole, doubling it over, and spinning (winding) it just before the second connection point. Loop one of the wire ends through the hole at second connection point and then wind it just before third connection point, and so forth until each connection point in the entire run has windings between each.

Once you get to the last connection point, you simply wind the ends, trim excess, and bend so that it doesn't offer an unexpected acupuncture treatment.

I could explain it better if I had a few charts and graphs  ;D

By the way, some of the windings in the picture appear to be a little too tight, which can incidentally weaken the wire.

I hope this helps.

Gixxer124

To get it tight on the bolt you start with, when your done spinning the pliers, make another twist without spinning the pliers. (Hold the pliers and make a motion like cranking a handle) This will tighten the wire next to the bolt. Make sense ??? ???

Gixxer124

And yes, that wire is wound way too tight. According to Air Force T.O. 1a-10a-94JG-10. ;D

spyderchick

And to learn to do it properly, the AF makes you do it BY HAND. :o Over and over and over...
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org