News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Can I be competitive, Ninja 250

Started by DocSean, November 16, 2008, 10:29:06 PM

DocSean

So I've decided its time to pick out a bike in anticipation for starting to race CCS and maybe some ASMA next year. I took your guy's advice last year, and had pretty much settled on going toward an sv650 and staying away from the I4 600's for now, but lately I've been considering something else...the 07-08 ninja 250. My only concern, with the classes set up the way they are, I'd be competing against the likes of sv650's. Now, I'm not expecting to go out and finish 1st every race, but I'd still like to be competative, any way I can acheive this on a 250? I'm a light guy, only about 145 lbs, but I don't suspect  it'll make a ton of difference with the high difference in power.

2old2fat2slow

I have never ridden a sv650. I have ridden a Ninja 250. My Dad's John Deere is way faster.
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

dylanfan53

An EX500 is no longer competitive.  A 250 would be half as competitive as that.
Gotta do the SV.
Don Cook
CCS #53

DocSean

Alright, great guys. Thanks for the advice! Keeping my eyes peeled for an '03 newer SV650.

Jack_Brock

Quote from: DocSean on November 16, 2008, 11:59:46 PM
Alright, great guys. Thanks for the advice! Keeping my eyes peeled for an '03 newer SV650.

Why '03 and later?  They are known for crank problems and most riders prefer the feel of the 1st gens suspension(me included).  I am biased, but my suggestion is to keep your options open.  I've got a 1st generation that will be for sale soon.  It won 6 of 7 races entered this year at the expert level(should have been 7 of 7, but I was coming off a serious injury at the first of the year).  PM if you want anymore details.

Welcome to the wonderful world of LW racing!   
www.caferacerinc.com
GP Expert #914

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

GIGOLO

Quote from: DocSean on November 16, 2008, 10:29:06 PM
So I've decided its time to pick out a bike in anticipation for starting to race CCS and maybe some ASMA next year. I took your guy's advice last year, and had pretty much settled on going toward an sv650 and staying away from the I4 600's for now, but lately I've been considering something else...the 07-08 ninja 250. My only concern, with the classes set up the way they are, I'd be competing against the likes of sv650's. Now, I'm not expecting to go out and finish 1st every race, but I'd still like to be competative, any way I can acheive this on a 250? I'm a light guy, only about 145 lbs, but I don't suspect  it'll make a ton of difference with the high difference in power.

Hey I got an idea,  hows about entering lightweight races with me I have an 08 250, then you and I can race our own little race?  Are u in the midwest by chance?

backMARKr

Quote from: Jack_Brock on November 17, 2008, 11:39:59 PM
I've got a 1st generation that will be for sale soon.  It won 6 of 7 races entered this year at the expert level(should have been 7 of 7, but I was coming off a serious injury at the first of the year). 

Jack...I think you would win even if you were on a scooter! :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

wolf44

Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

SV88

I would not even think of racing it in LW.  Consider Ultralight weight and even then you'll be up against some SS sv650s. 
At any rate, since the LW class limits have been bumped up to 800cc for water-cooled 4 valve twins, the sv's will only be competitive until the BMW 800s and a host of other bikes enter the class.
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

Team_Serpent

Long thread here http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=192221&highlight=Ninja+250 about the 250s and the Ninja 250 series.  I think there are Kawi pay outs on that bike.

DocSean

Jack - To answer your question I had only been considering the 03+ models because I am very familiar with fuel injected bikes, but not so much with the carbeurated ones. But perhaps I should not take that into much consideration since I am planning on entering supersport classes where the modifications would be nill.

Gigolo - I'd love that, but I'm actually in the southwest region, who knows, perhaps there will be a rising down here and the 250 will get a dedicated class, from my understanding both WERA and ASMA (?) have classes specific to the 250.