News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Warmer Apps

Started by FastBoy, March 22, 2003, 02:31:33 PM

FastBoy

Okay, being a PN I'm new with the tire warmer applications. How are you guys using them (how long) prior to the first practice and how do you use them in between practices and races especially if you start practice at 9am and continue racing until 4pm with an hour or two between track time. BTW these are CH Pole Position warmers (135/175 thermostats) on Pirelli rubber

FUBAR606

Although I do not use the CH model, I can share that you should put on the warmers as often as possible when not on the track.

From all that I read and heard this will decrease the effects of heat cycles on your rubber, regardless of tire manufacturer, and extend tire life caused solely by the heat cycles.

My 2 cents...

tshort

Check out chickenhawk.com - they have a faq there that discusses this.  I have the same warmers, and am planning on using Pirellis, too.  I've asked Pirelli about this and will post whatever they tell me.

Reading other boards, it sounds like the challenge isn't so much heating up the tires, as it is just keeping them warm to prevent heat cycling.  Having used Pirellis a bit last year, I can attest to the fact that they do heat up quickly´- maybe half a lap.  Anyway, will let you know what Pirelli says.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

FastBoy

Thanks. I'm interested in hearing what the Pirelli guy tells you.

tshort

Just got this response from Pirelli:

Dear Sir, t short

The recommended tire temperatures that you should have you tires heated to are 50-60 Celcius. This is the beginning of operating temperature for the Supercorsas. This temperature will allow you to keep the warmers on for longer periods of time while not heat cycling the tires. Remember to monitor outside temperatures as 50 to 60 celcius [that's 122-140 deg F -T.] can be attained with just the sun if it is a 85-100 degree day and you really wouldnt need to use warmers to build heat in the tire.

If you have any further questions please email me at:
rich.munson@us.pirelli.com

Kind regards,
Rich Munson
US Pirelli Race Mgr.
Thank you for your interest in our company and products.
Best Regards.

Customer Service
Pirelli MOTO
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

FastBoy

Thanks for the info. I'll post back here after my next several races. You know stuff like initial grip, tire wear, etc. using the lower temps to warm them up. You do the same and we should have a good idea of what's working and what's not.

Thanks again. Good luck.

tshort

Cool.  I'll do the same.  I got the CH Pole Positions, too - and the 135 deg F setting is right in the range the Pirelli guy said to use, so I'm hoping that works well.  Wish I had a pyrometer to check how accurate these things are, and how long it takes them to get up to temp.  

Should be interesting.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

FastBoy

Well, I might have some CH for sale soon. The Pirelli guy at VIR this weekend came over to my pit and said you probably shouldn't even use warmers as the weather warms. It was 80 this weekend and the sun was doing its' thing. I went out on cold Pirellis the last three races on his suggestion, worked them good on the warm-up lap and then ran the same race pace as I did earlier, still passed mulitple riders going into and out of Turn 1 on lap 1  with no signs of tire issues. I may only use the warmers for the first race of each day and to slow cool-off after each race.
So what's your take on it now? BTW, the guys who finished top five (a few seconds a lap faster than I) don't use them on their Pirellis either.

sdiver68

I like the tire warmers for peace of mind...of course it may be more of an issue here in the Mid-West when race temps are often 35-45 degrees  >:(

Everyone here uses them.  I think, based on lots of anecdotal evidence only, that Pirelli's come up to heat a little faster than Dunlop and Michelin so they may be less sensitive to using tire warmers or not.
MCRA Race School Instructor