CCS at Putnam....why the hell not??

Started by jigs, September 25, 2008, 10:58:55 AM

jigs

Who would like to race at Putnam...question number one.Question two is why don't we?? There's gotta be a reason,at least a legitimate one.Other than the last turn,which some air-fence,and not alot,would solve that...there's a ton of run-off,great track,in the Midwest,I guess it must be political.I've heard some of the reasons,second hand of corse.Can this be solved??Does CCS want to go there?? Just curiuos,seems like a waste of a great track.

Super Dave

No camping makes it a pain for racers packing up and leaving, hotels.  I personally like IRP better "back in the day". 

There were long standing issues between various individuals on many sides and some racer/rider deaths. 

It's a nice track day facility.  That's its design and market.  Autobahn too.

Super Dave

jigs

I see,ACC, I don't care if I ever ride that track,but I can see the camping issue would be a concern...thanks Dave.See you this weekend!!

Burt Munro

WERA use to run several races there a year - up to about 2004 if I remember correctly.

They were ready to sign on for the following season when the owner of the track got into a pissin' match about the timing of getting contracts signed over the Christmas/New Years time frame and gave WERA an unreasonable deadline.  Bottom line is the owner decided to act juvenile and take his ball and go home - cancelled all of WERA's dates and they haven't been back since.

In addition to the no camping issue I think there were some significant problems related to how early the track would open the gate to get in each morning.

If you want to read a lesson in futility, do a search on the WERA board for 'Putnam.'
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

jigs

Gotcha,and I hear ya on the gates in the morning,been there for track days,takes forever to get in,I know they also shoe you out right away at the end of the event.These are all fixable real easy,but sounds like it's been beat to death already,huh.Too bad really.Great track....sounds like A.They don't need us and or B. someone's got their head up their ass...thanks for the replys guys.

Super Dave

Quote from: jigs on September 25, 2008, 01:18:58 PM
Gotcha,and I hear ya on the gates in the morning,been there for track days,takes forever to get in,I know they also shoe you out right away at the end of the event.These are all fixable real easy...
Actually, I believe they are zoning issues that they have to fulfill with the local government entities, neighbors, etc.  Not an easy fix.  Especially when they built the facility on those terms.
Super Dave

jigs

AAHHH,the plot thickens......maybe I should just delete this sucker!!

Mongo

Yep, camping can't be worked out because of agreements they signed to build it.

We don't racer there for a number of reasons, the "discussion" I had with Dick was that he expected me to run into our office on a holiday to prove that his son said exactly what I posted he's said - in a fax that was from 8 or 9 months earlier.  Still got that fax too :-)  As much as I liked the track they were just too hard to do business with and certain contractual obligations we felt affected rider safety so we weren't all that unhappy with his being ridiculous on the board. 

It really is too bad, it's a fun track.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

ronhix

I'm with you on this one Jigsy, I love that track.  Fun layout and super grippy, smooth surface.

I often wondered why Putnam's track surface is always so good year after year while so many other tracks seem to be constantly fixing the surface from car and weather related-damage.
Ron Hix
Hix Racing #975

2010 Partners - Hawkeye Superbikes - Trackdaystore.com - Dunlop - Ohlins - Arai - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Ayden Lee Leathers - Vesrah - SIDI - GP Tech - NESBA - CLSB

jigs

Who knows Ronny,maybe they used ground up sea shells or something.Same can be said for Canadian roads vs. ours.See you this weekend,,,should be a blast.

Super Dave

I don't think they have the freeze/thaw cycles that we have this direction. 

I don't think they have seashells.  I think little Talledega did a long time ago.  Real abrasive.  That's a track I'd like to go back to.  Sean, I know you still have races there, even with the new layout.  I know CCS had races there in 1993.  Don't understand why they don't anymore, but that doesn't matter. 
Super Dave

roadrashroeser

Rosno, I love little Talldega I say we do the Wera endurance there next year, I'll supply a bike and transportation, what da think?
Roeser
Mike Roeser