News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Carbon Fiber Wheels...

Started by djduc748l, September 09, 2008, 11:49:06 AM

djduc748l

For those questioning the legality of Carbon Fiber wheels in CCS, here is the reg:

"5.2.3 Tires must be in good condition and must be mounted on wheels at
least 15 inches in diameter.
A. Where permitted by the class rules, wheels made of carbon fiber
designed for racing and road use are allowed, providing all
wheels are DOT or BS. approved and tested to JWL standards for
fatigue and impact strength. It is the responsibility of the competitor
to provide proof of certification to offi cials upon request.
"

They are NOT legal in Supersport classes, but ARE legal in Superbike, GT,
Supertwins and Formula 40 classes where bikes fall under Superbike specs
as well.

Remember...have fun and enjoy every second! Life is to precious to take for granted!

EX_#76

Quote from: djduc748l on September 09, 2008, 11:49:06 AM
For those questioning the legality of Carbon Fiber wheels in CCS, here is the reg:

"5.2.3 Tires must be in good condition and must be mounted on wheels at
least 15 inches in diameter.
A. Where permitted by the class rules, wheels made of carbon fiber
designed for racing and road use are allowed, providing all
wheels are DOT or BS. approved and tested to JWL standards for
fatigue and impact strength. It is the responsibility of the competitor
to provide proof of certification to offi cials upon request.
"

They are NOT legal in Supersport classes, but ARE legal in Superbike, GT,
Supertwins and Formula 40 classes where bikes fall under Superbike specs
as well.

Yep
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Super Dave

Super Dave

crimsoncloak

Does this mean Clayton can stop painting his wheels black?

Super Dave

That won't stop him from using magnesium cases.

I'll get you with some additional good karma later...LOL!   :cheers:
Super Dave

Eye-p

I wondered about these.

For whatever reason, I still dont trust them. I'll stick with mag...
Jason Levitt
Full Spectrum Power
www.speed-cell.com

djduc748l

Trusting CF wheels- I have to say I was sceptical also, and low and behold after only 5 races at Barber my rear wheel hub lost 3 bolts and 2 more were coming loose out of 8! So, needless to say, after that kind of investment I was pissed :finger:...I Contacted BST DIRECTLY, Motowheels is their US Distributer and they were pissed too, and I must say their combined response and concern really impressed me...they really stand behind their product, and I won't go into the whole story, but somehow their internal QA process missed a step (or two) and I'm confident something was done to someone or some department over this as the email traffic was quite specific...but they immediately built me up a new set and shipped them directly to my home within a week and a half all the way from S.Africa! Trust me, I ship worldwide and this cost them well over $900 alone! So while I still inspect the wheels after every race, and I raced the bike 3 times at the last Summit Point round without issue, they really stand behind their product! :thumb:
Remember...have fun and enjoy every second! Life is to precious to take for granted!

Eye-p

Quote from: djduc748l on September 16, 2008, 09:41:38 AM
Trusting CF wheels- I have to say I was sceptical also, and low and behold after only 5 races at Barber my rear wheel hub lost 3 bolts and 2 more were coming loose out of 8! So, needless to say, after that kind of investment I was pissed :finger:...I Contacted BST DIRECTLY, Motowheels is their US Distributer and they were pissed too, and I must say their combined response and concern really impressed me...they really stand behind their product, and I won't go into the whole story, but somehow their internal QA process missed a step (or two) and I'm confident something was done to someone or some department over this as the email traffic was quite specific...but they immediately built me up a new set and shipped them directly to my home within a week and a half all the way from S.Africa! Trust me, I ship worldwide and this cost them well over $900 alone! So while I still inspect the wheels after every race, and I raced the bike 3 times at the last Summit Point round without issue, they really stand behind their product! :thumb:

I saw those on your bike. That is pretty crazy.
We all experience equipment failures at one time or another, whenever you start building a Superbike spec racer- part of the game. Good to hear that BST took care of this quickly.
Jason Levitt
Full Spectrum Power
www.speed-cell.com