Started by Nate R, March 19, 2003, 06:49:09 AM

lil_thorny

dave,
be sure to check your messages on this forum,
i e-mailed you a love letter....."ahhhhhhhhhh"
benny.

sdiver68

Damn S_D,

You are going to scare the newbies to death!

"CCS reports remarkable decline in new racer entires due to fear of suspension adjustments!"

:o  ;)

Nate,

Get some general numbers from the WERA board or the SV rider list or maybe even Ed Key and go with them.  Sure, going to GMD and taking Super Dave school will help a ton but most do not so until they've had a few races under their belt or are looking for that last couple/3 seconds, and you can be plenty competitive in AM races without all that.

I guess I'm saying start from the best place you can start from, and add the other things as time and money permit!
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

QuoteDamn S_D,

You are going to scare the newbies to death!

"CCS reports remarkable decline in new racer entires due to fear of suspension adjustments!"

LOL!
 ;D

But actually, it's the newest riders that SHOULD have a decent set up.  With experience, you can ride past some of the problems.  But for the new guy, a bike that isn't right...

It gives feed back to the rider that he doesn't understand.  So, the rider sees other riders going faster, so he goes faster and throws it in.  But, because he doesn't necessarily notice the set up differences or he's just not experienced, the rider falls, breaking his wallet in the process.

And that's really the key to what I learned over a long period of time.  I was never a natrually gifted rider, but I was at least motivated and stupid enough to continue spending money, and learning in the process.

Keeping a rider in the sport is sometimes a matter of keeping him from blowing all the money.  If the rider learns quickly to understand what makes the bike faster, why he's not as fast, and what NOT to spend money on...they are around a lot longer than other guys.  And they go faster, too.

How's that one lay on ya?
Super Dave

lil_thorny

so dave, being a newbie racer myself, i shouldn't
"blow" all my money on strippers and speeding tickets? how 'bout i give you my paychecks and you make me faster. btw, i got all the school days off
and i'll be there .....remember, "it's not a tumor"
hey, just to follow this thread, should i sipe some
take-offs and see how that works? ;D ;) :P
" i have tooth decay....ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"
lil thorny.

Super Dave

"AAAAH!  I wake up and my pants unbuttoned!  AAAH!"

I've got it killed.  Tumor or not, no carbs will starve it.  

If the strippers help your riding, then, by all means, do it.  

And don't they just like hangin' out with you?  Tell me about that girl...Brittney S....
Super Dave

chris_chops

QuoteOK, my windscreen doesnt line up perfectly with the fairing, and even if it did, it wouldnt be watertight.

When I was washing the bike, a lot of water was getting into the wiring and such through the screen/fairing gap.  

Is this a problem on the track, or does the wind keep the water moving enough? I'm thinking of caulking the gap, as I have some connections that won't stand up to continous water in the front.
I've seen all sorts of methods to protect those connections from water.  Some get a big enough plastic bag, like a ziplock and make a condom thingy with rubber bands or zip-ties.  I slather the connections real good with di-electric grease and tape em up nice and tight with black electrical tape.  The old grease and wrap.  
     On the subject of your suspension, don't copy a fast experts set-up, yet.  I don't think it will be right for you, yet.  Because there are so many SV's out there, start gathering as much set-up info as you can and then have someone like S_D filter it for you.
     I used to have this palmpilot with all my setup info on it, now it's broken and lost is the info.  I'm using a pen and paper this year and then I'll back it up on disk.
     I'll be at the track with two new lightweight guys this year, Pete and Spencer.  See ya soon.  And if you decide to caulk, come over and show it to me.  I've never seen that on an upper before.

Matt