News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

CCS at Mid Ohio

Started by cpettit, September 02, 2008, 11:47:48 AM

cpettit

I have a couple questions/concerns. I have never raced with CCS/ASRA but have with other orgs. Do they all use AMB transponders? I don't want to have to buy or rent another since i already have an AMB.

Are the number regulations pretty much the same everywhere? I painted my bike this year as per the WERA regs with the numbers on the fairing lowers and on the nose. The said they can be on the lowers now because of the new r6, cbr 1000 and some others that don't leave room for them on the tail. I have read through the CCS rule book but i am still not certain.

Thanks!

Russell2566

CCS uses the Westhold transponder system and they are at the track to rent; your AMB transponder does not work with this system. Unlike WERA I think the majority of CCS riders rent their transponders. If there is a cost associated with renting I've never even noticed it...

Per my recollection, CCS still requires the number plates on the tail section, one on each side. There has been great debate on this topic, but the rules are still the same. I know this is difficult to follow with some of the new bikes. I'm sure someone here will chime in with a more educated answer on the number plates.

Eric Kelcher

The number plate requirements will be the local rider's requirements. So if what you have painted on your bike is per a recognized AMA orgainzation then you will be okay.

For the transponder for this event, it will be the Westhold transponder, A charged unit is provided to each competitor with their entry fee. (this is also true at CCS races run out of the main FW office, Florida and AZ;  New Hampshire and Great plains use the AMB system).

Rechargable or hard wired systems are available for riders to purchase.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

cpettit

As far as the numbers............. Here is what i have now. They comply with the WERA rules and on the amadirectlink website it says that is one of the recognized orgs so i am assuming it will fly.

We weren't gonna go to mid ohio but just this weekend we heard that they had decided to run the novice classes and scrap the heat race idea so we should be bringing 5 or 6 more peeps to the event. I hope it is as good as last year!

Eric Kelcher

Just read the WERA rulebook

If the side numbers are displayed on the lowers they must have a 1/8" minimum black line around the plate area outside of the required 1/2" of numberplate background.

I don't like that idea and even tho yours do not conform with their rules (numbers on upper) I think your placement is better than their rule.

FYI all classes will have qualiying and there will be Expert classed riders and Amateur/Novice(different names used by various organizations for what will be competing together under the heading Amateur) riders competing for recognistion as AMA national amateur champion in each class and rider status.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

cpettit

Yeah, i posted pics on the WERA board before trying to sneak through tech and they said the placement was fine. I think the general idea is that they be somewhere on the side of the bike where they are visible, the number on top of the tail is optional when doing the fairing side numbers. Hell with it, i will just show up there and hope it works out.

Burt Munro

Quote from: cpettit on September 02, 2008, 04:00:54 PM
Yeah, i posted pics on the WERA board before trying to sneak through tech and they said the placement was fine. I think the general idea is that they be somewhere on the side of the bike where they are visible, the number on top of the tail is optional when doing the fairing side numbers. Hell with it, i will just show up there and hope it works out.

I'm working Tech and Grid at Mid-Ohio. 

I know we'll be dealing with a lot of nuances in number plates from the various race organizations.  The directive I was given was to make it workable for everyone from the riders to the Starter, manual Scorers and Corner-Workers perspective.

From what I see on your bike it's definitely workable.   If you still have doubts, come see me in Tech when you get there and I'll fill you in on any new information we've been given.

Rick

aka 'Burt Munro'
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

butchf

ok I'm there......damn it Larry :cheers:
later..................

Butch
the "new guy" race official

Burt Munro

Racer510

Thought you weren't going to Mid-Ohio, Rick?

cpettit

Thanks Rick. my only other concern is that the rulebook says case guards or reinforced covers are required only on the left side. I have been racing a couple seasons now with the stock covers but i can get an aftermarket cover if i must. Should i order one or will i be able to slide thru with what i have?

Thanks again guys!

Burt Munro

Quote from: Racer510 on September 04, 2008, 07:09:21 PM
Thought you weren't going to Mid-Ohio, Rick?

Jay can't go but Larry, Joe, Butch and I are going.