News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

war in Iraq

Started by Pit_Girl, March 17, 2003, 07:35:08 PM

gpconcepts

I have tried to stay out of this one. It is always difficult to discuss an issue as important as the possibility of war in this type of forum. But a statement posted by Pit Girl has forced me to break my silence. "... but look what he did for our economy... " when refering to Clinton is a foolish and uneducated statement. First year clollege economics teaches that the person in the whitehouse has little, if anything to do whth the economy. The economy is based on supply, demand, technology, etc. While Gore jokingly stated that he "invented the internet" it should be obvious that during the 90's the United States would have shown economic prosperity regardless of the political affiliation of the president. Let's not forget that much of that prosperity was lost when companies were caught disclosing false profits and that the failure of many dot com companies resulted from a lack of a viable product. Race girl, don't be so superficial in your thoughts regarding our nation's economy as to think that it is as easy as electing a Democrat to the White House.

Rich

Pit_Girl

see, i guess the thing is that your perception of a presidents influence on the economy all depends on who you are and how you look at things.  it is also important to remember that i was 7 when clinton was elected, and school history classes only cover up to the 1970s, so i and many others of my generation have different views on things because either we have a different view on things or we simply dont know a whole lot about the 80's and early 90's. so what this all comes down to is generation gap, plain and simple.

looks fellas (and ladies ;)) i think i am done with politics on this board.... this is exactly what i didnt want to have when i started that poll, so it's time for me to duck out and make my exit.

Back to racing!!  ;D

(Pit_Girl Bows, and Exits stage right)

-Jen

MightyDuc Racing

I say we kick ass and take names like we should've done 12 years ago.  Shouldn't take long.  Most of his troops probably hate him anyways and when they find out they can have their own money and food, etc, with that piece of shit gone, they'll just thrown down their weapons and be thankful he's gone.  Go USA!
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Super_KC124

Saddam is evil and should be dealt with. However... who made President Bush king of the world? Why can't the Middle East take care of this itself? Will this declaration of war lead to terrorist acts from other factions? What about Korea? It's not that simple. I'll go wherever I'm told to go. I just hope it doesn't create more problems than it fixes.

mj

QuoteSaddam is evil and should be dealt with. However... who made President Bush king of the world? Why can't the Middle East take care of this itself? Will this declaration of war lead to terrorist acts from other factions? What about Korea? It's not that simple. I'll go wherever I'm told to go. I just hope it doesn't create more problems than it fixes.

right on KC !!!

Dawn

Normally I don't get into political discussions unless I am face to face with the person, but I am just going to add my $0.02 on this subject.

Pit_Girl - It is good to see you take and interest in the is subject and be open to discussion.  Most people on the board will offer their opinion and will actually talk to you with out "talking-down" to you or whomever the conversation is with.  Thanks to everyone for that.

Saddam is an evil man.  I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that subject.  For years the world has tried to deal with him through diplomatic channels, but nothing seems to work.  There comes a point in time where stronger and more drastic measures are needed.  This is that time.  I truly believe that if he is allowed to remain in power, we may have another 'Hitler' on our hands.

Why us, the USA, - why are we the ones to take action?  Simply because we have the power and might to.  Do I like war?  No, I abhor it.  But sometimes that is the only recourse.  

I support our troops and wish them and their families the best.  

Dawn

RC51Racer

War is never good, but sometimes it's the only way to go.

I started my career in the military during Vietnam and ended it during Desert Storm.  There was many times that I wished I didn't have to go.  But, if it makes the world a better, safer place then it needs to be done.

I too know many of the troops deployed in that area of the world right now, and I wish them a safe return.

Mike, 20+ years in the USAF

Dawn

the_weggie_man

Chris ........

Final talley?  I HATE WAR, because it riskes people's lives for bull$#it.

You call your freedom bullsh*t?  Yes people die in wars but I must say the Americans who have died during the entire existence of this country have not died for bullsh*t.  They have not died in vain!

Super Dave

Quotesee, i guess the thing is that your perception of a presidents influence on the economy all depends on who you are and how you look at things.  it is also important to remember that i was 7 when clinton was elected, and school history classes only cover up to the 1970s, so i and many others of my generation have different views on things because either we have a different view on things or we simply dont know a whole lot about the 80's and early 90's. so what this all comes down to is generation gap, plain and simple.

The president has some influence, sure.  But a whole lot of us here are business owners.  We have quite a bit on influence, too.  If the US didn't have businesses, there would be NOTHING!  No jobs, no money, no support.

If there were no goverment, well, we'd still go on.  Without a president.  

The economy was in decline by 1991.  I think it has been shown that Clinton was just riding the last wave in.  Bush is having to rebuild what the previous years of government DIDN'T take responsibility for.  And that goes for the Republicans and Democrats.  (I am rather apolitical, myself, although I do have some opinions.  I register as a Libertarian.)

Super Dave

mastersofmayhem

A mouse looked through a crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife opening a package; what food might it contain? He was aghast to discover that it was a mouse trap!

Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning, "There is a mouse trap in the house, there is a mouse trap in the house."

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said,  "Mr. Mouse, I can tell you this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me; I cannot be bothered by it."

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, "There is a mouse trap in the house."

"I am so very sorry Mr. Mouse," sympathized the pig, "but there is nothing I can do about it but pray; be assured that you are in my prayers."

The mouse turned to the cow, who replied,  "Like wow, Mr. Mouse, a mouse trap; am I in grave danger, Duh?"

So the mouse returned to the house,  head down and dejected to face the farmer's mouse trap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house, like the sound of a mouse trap catching its prey. The farmer's wife rushed to see what was caught.

In the darkness, she did not see that it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught.

The snake bit the farmer's wife.   The farmer rushed her to the hospital. She returned home with a fever.   Now everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the  farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup's main ingredient.

His wife's sickness continued so that friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.

The farmer's wife did not get well, in fact, she died, and so many people came for her funeral the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide meat for all of them to eat.

So the next time you hear that someone is facing a problem and think that it does not concern you, remember that when the least of us is threatened, we are all at risk.

****** And so it may be with Germany, France and Belgium one day******

Super Dave

QuoteHere's my question...

Can anyone give me a good reason why Saddam and his gang of thugs should be left in power?

I am still waiting for those who did not support the war to give an answer on this.  

It could be that, "He was the ruler of a soverign nation," or anything.  But I would appreciate a response.
Super Dave