Started by stk0308, June 05, 2008, 12:29:38 PM

stk0308

http://tinyurl.com/6hzs6p

County Police Discover Motorcycle Chop Shop 

Last Edited: Tuesday, 03 Jun 2008, 5:15 PM CDT 
Created: Tuesday, 03 Jun 2008, 5:15 PM CDT 

By: Roche Madden

(KTVI - myFOXstl.com)  -- 
St. Louis County Police made an unusual discovery overnight. Detectives say they have found a chop shop for motorcycles where thieves cut up stolen bikes and resell the parts.

A Fox 2 photographer was on the scene when police raided a south county business called "Midwest Streetbikes and Parts" Monday night. Police said they discovered nine stolen motorcycles and engines. They called it a chop-shop.  The bikes are cut-up and then resold as parts.

Sgt. Steven Salamon with county police said motorcycle chop-shops are unusual, "This is the first one I've know we've come across."

He said thieves stole the high performance streetbikes right from people's carports.

Salamon said, "These thefts take a matter of second not even minutes to occur." 
Workers at other nearby businesses were stunned.  Terry Haney works at an x-ray company.

He said, "We thought they had other jobs that they'd come at night and do it part time you know." 
  David Merrick works at a window washing company, "They said they were motorcycle parts and they sold them on the internet."

Sgt. Salamon said, "We've found the internet to be a warehouse of selling parts both legitimately and illegitimately."

But, one man who did not want to be identified said he had been suspicious all along.   He said, "I think they've been doing shady stuff all along you see them coming and going and dropping bikes off and picking bikes up."

Police said the number of streetbike thefts in the metro area is on the rise.  That at least eight have been stolen recently in St. Louis County.Four4 people were arrested last night and detectives are looking for three others.  Charges are expected to be filed soon. 

Police say if you believe your stolen motorcycle was taken by the suspects you don't need to call authorities. Detectives are getting the serial numbers from the bikes and contacting victims.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

Tornado Bait

Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, Vortex, E4S, Tucker Rocky
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

wolf44

the crappy part is that one of the guys races CCS.  I actually talked to him at MAM about traveling to the track with us....glad that didn't work out.  He was the guy that had the brand new 600rr AM #616.  His transport was a nice big NEW silver van with "Hollywood Racing" across the front.  I wondered how he afforded all that new stuff
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

YellowRacer

CCS #131 AM

How do they do it?
Why do they do it?
Riding, and crashing, and riding, and winning
And always faster, and faster, and faster!
     - Faster

mwsportsimaging

I wonder if they found a mountain bike when they raided the place?

r1owner

Quote from: wolf44 on June 05, 2008, 02:52:29 PM
the crappy part is that one of the guys races CCS.  I actually talked to him at MAM about traveling to the track with us....glad that didn't work out.  He was the guy that had the brand new 600rr AM #616.  His transport was a nice big NEW silver van with "Hollywood Racing" across the front.  I wondered how he afforded all that new stuff

Woah!!! that sucks... do you know his name?  There's one license that should be revoked (if found guilty).

wolf44

Ryan Martin...I guess we have to find out if he is actually guilty first but from what I hear it doesnt' sound good
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors

r1owner

wolf44

yeah, the kid has a lot of talent...too bad it looks like its going to waste
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors

r1owner

Quote from: wolf44 on June 05, 2008, 10:10:40 PM
yeah, the kid has a lot of talent...too bad it looks like its going to waste

What, can he get a bike in a mini van in less than 20 seconds?  ;)

r1owner

tstruyk

that kids pretty quick, he ran some the TA school... randy dropped his name as a kid to keep an eye out on...   did well at the MCRA challenge series...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"