News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Power Comm. really help?

Started by honda60071, May 13, 2008, 06:28:09 PM

honda60071

Just curious never had my bike on a dyno, but how much improvement will one see after the installation of a PC, and just having a down loaded map from the web site?
Shawn

LilJayRR

The map downloaded may be 'close' but it wont be prefect. You could just run with the downloaded map for now and then have it tuned later.

Currently the map on mine isn't tuned for my bike yet. Rick just used one from his other bikes. Once they get the dyno running right, and I have the time to take it back I will have it tuned for my bike. It read 112hp so I'm satisfied that it is running 'good enough' for now. I dont know how much more I could get out of a basicaly stock 600.

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

Gixxerblade

I'll let you know this weekend percentage wise the gain I get.

honda60071

you puttin a new map and  hitting the dyno this weekend?
Shawn

Gixxerblade

Yep. I had it hooked wrong for the past 3 years or so and discovered it on the dyno last week. Weird things when you get the wires crossed. I feel like an idiot for throwing the directions away.

Super Dave

I have yet to own a Power Commander myself. 

Super Dave

kl3640

If all else is stock (exhaust, intake), I understand the PCIII to simply mitigate (somewhat, not completely) the factories' EPA emissions control ECU programming.  Ideally, other EPA compliance devices (catalytic converters, etc) would be removed and then the effect of the PCIII on the stock ECU's programming would be more pronounced.  Thus the CA lawsuit and now the new PCIII for the CA mkt only, the "PC EX" or whatever it's called.  I completely don't understand that point of that apparatus.

As I understand the effect of the PCIII, it doesn't help quite so much with peak HP as it does with power output in various places along the RPM range, in many cases where the factories tuned the bike for emissions compliance, such as in the most used RPM range for cruising, etc; but again, the ECU programming works as part of a system for emissions control with other physical components, such as the cat, flappers, intake restrictions, or other things.  I think that if the stock exhaust is to be left in place, including the cat, flappers, snorkels, etc, then the PCIII is pretty useless, other than perhaps some "smoothing" out in some sections of the RPM range.  At a minimum the can should be replaced, the cat removed, and any other intake/exhaust restrictions intended for EPA compliance removed if the bike is to be raced.

For the next race bike that I build I'm going to ditch the stock ECU altogether and get a racing ECU to work with a full racing intake and exhaust system, unless that causes as SS legality issue.

cardzilla

I've found the best combination to be PCIII, data logger and adding an O2 sensor.  This way you don't have to pay for dyno runs and you can fine tune the map whenever you want.  You can watch the a/f mixture at any revs and the data logger uses g force to approximate HP.  Sounds expensive, but if you're constantly tinkering (i am) then it is cheaper in the long run.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

honda60071

gixxerblade how did you have the wiring wrong, looks like it can only be hooked up one way at least on a honda with the lower injectors and the tpc?
Shawn

Gixxerblade

I hooked it up to the pink wire with the white stripe and not the pink wire with the black stripe on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I didn't read the directions and figured, "How hard could it be?"
I didn't get a chance to do a dyno pull either. Shop was too busy.