Bridgestone rain tire question

Started by Farmboy, April 20, 2008, 01:42:59 PM

Farmboy

Hey all, new to the forum and CCS. Looking forward to meeting you and racing in the Amateur Lightweight class. Regarding Bridgestone rains, has anyone here run a 160 rear on a 5.5" rim? Bridgestone specifies this size for up to a 5.5", but I bought a rear and it looks freakin' tiny, barely bigger than the 120 front.  I just can't imagine how it will be when mounted as it looks like the profile would be virtually flat. Isn't the idea to have a tall, skinny profile? I'm holding off on mounting it as I'll try to call Dean @ TrackAddix tomorrow to see if I can exchange it for a 180 rear at Topeka; this is what I'm leaning towards despite the manufacturer's recommendation. If anyone can tell me otherwise, though, I'd greatly appreciate it. Incidentally, the bike it'll be on is a 2 valve Ducati in Superbike tune, if it matters much. Thanks - Jim
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

dylanfan53

Most tire manufacturer are okay with +/-1 size.  If this is a Duc it probably came with a 180, although I think the Superbikes may have come with 190's.  I'd stick with a 180. 
Don Cook
CCS #53

Farmboy

Yes, OE  fitment is a 180, and my dry tire is a 180, I'm just curious as to why Bridgestone recommends the smaller tire for this app. I guess we'll see...
Jim Berard CCS MW#904

HAWK

Best to talk to your tire rep but the word I have heard from my guy is that the 160 RAIN tire handles better than the 180 on the 5.5 wheel, something about the profile.

Again, talk to your tire guy and get all the facts from him.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Jeff

The 160 is the right tire, and you'll do fine with it.  The bridgestone wets are incredible..
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Farmboy

Jim Berard CCS MW#904

stickboy274

They list the 165 up to a 5.5" because it was designed for a 250 GP bike. It does work fine on the 5.5. The 280 is the way to go for big bikes though.
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing

tzracer

Quote from: stickboy274 on April 21, 2008, 10:43:20 PM
The 280 is the way to go for big bikes though.

Would that be for the 'way too fat rear tire on my cruiser' class?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

stickboy274

Sorry, I've had a few long nights this week.
Stickboy Racing 803-413-0721
Bridgestone/Dunlop Tire Rep.
www.stickboyracing.com
FB: Stickboy Racing