How do I set the cams back in? Timing issue!!

Started by rynoracing, April 12, 2008, 10:15:02 PM

rynoracing

2002 GSXR 1000 

How do I line the lines on the cam gear with the line on flywheel and flywheel cover (or bottom of timing chain area)?

Do I point the lines toward flywheel (down), Or up?

I have the flywheel line lined up with the line on the case. I assume its TDC. top dead center

Please help!  Im waiting on the mail to bring me a service manual, that will be a couple days............

Eric Kelcher

Not sure if this is your first time doing this or not. If it is here is an expensive lesson that I learned

Check the timing again after installing and adjusting cam chain tensioner. If you have the slack between the sprockets other than on tensioner side when tension is applied timing will be altered several degrees and valves bend when you crank motor over.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

JBraun

Generally, (with the engine at TDC) you line up the "IN" and "EX" marks on the cam sprockets up with the valve cover mating surface.

If it's right, the #1 cylinder's lobes should point away from one another, and slightly angled upward. Replacing the camshaft cap is a delicate process however. Care is needed to ensure that no orings are pinched and that the proper torque AND tightening sequence is used.

Eric is right. If you screw up, at best the motor won't run. At worst you'll bend valves and wreck the head.

A good rule of thumb is if you think something might be wrong, it probably is. Take your time and triple check everything.

I'm assuming you just want stock timing. To find the ideal lobe centers a much more involved process is required...
And if this is your first time putting a motor together, don't even think about doing it without a manual.

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

resurection

The best way to check your work will be turning the motor over several times then go threw the clearance check with crank mark correct you should be able to check shim clearance.