Good deal on Craftsman 263pc Mechanics set

Started by kl3640, March 05, 2008, 03:35:00 PM

kl3640

Check this out:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933263000P

I saw this set last month for $250 or thereabouts.  I had read online while looking for reviews that it's occassionally on sale for $169.99, and now it is.  It comes with Free Standard Shipping, but they have to charge Sales Tax which pretty much offsets that, but still, at $181 total or so depending on the delivery destination, it's a good deal.

It's the 263pc Mechanics Set with a small 4 drawer cabinet - perfect for the pits.  I don't want to bring my SnapOn set in to the pits and risk losing pieces, so this one is perfect.  And it's Craftsman, so it's guaranteed for life.  And it's small enough to easily toss in to the trailer, haul back and forth from the pits, etc.

I'll have to add a few things to the set, but it's got most of what's used in the pits regularly.

Also, replacing individual pieces when they get "lost" should be easy enough at any local Sears.

resurection

Thats not much more than 50 cent a piece 
DAM sure I can't beat those prices.
Tools are cool as hell, NO?

kl3640

Quote from: resurrection on March 05, 2008, 06:50:49 PM
Thats not much more than 50 cent a piece 
DAM sure I can't beat those prices.
Tools are cool as hell, NO?

Tools are DEFINITELY cool...I'm pretty sure that I have more that I don't use regularly than those that I do.

Another note about this set is that judging by the pictures, the drawers are molded for all of the tools, which makes putting each one back in its place easy and noticing when something is missing a snap, so that you can be sure that you've recovered everything before packing up for the night.

Team_Serpent

Looks like half the kit is american and the other half metric

kl3640

Quote from: Team_Serpent on March 12, 2008, 02:16:16 PM
Looks like half the kit is american and the other half metric

Not half by number (i.e., not 131.5), because of universal tools, but yes, you're right, amongst sockets and wrenches and the like, there are both SAE and Metric; however, they didn't have good choices of metric-only sets in terms of # of tools vs. cost, so for the price I felt it was the best bang for the buck, including all of the tools, the case, etc.  Believe it or not, I've actually found occassion for SAE in the pits (e.g., trailer repairs, tool repair, etc.).

My only complaint so far is that the drawers don't really lock when carrying the box by the carry handle and so they tend to fall out and spill tools; but I fixed that by securing a bungee around it when carrying it.  Otherwise, what I really like about the case is that it's got the blow-molded drawers so when packing up at the pits I can see easily if any tools have been left out.

Team_Serpent

There's no doubt it's still well worth the price, just wanted to point that out so that people didn't click "add to cart" and checkout without noticing.