News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

DunFlops at Daytona

Started by kl3640, March 04, 2008, 11:51:46 PM

cardzilla

This is a R&D game we're in and it doesn't always work out.  I have raced almost exclusively on Dunlops for over a decade and I think they are the best overall tire available.  Daytona, however, has definitely been their nemisis.  I've experienced tire growth on the 16.5 slick that was mind boggling as well as some weird wear.  Suspension setup is crucial and you can usually work around a tire deficiency to make it last for the entire race... the tradeoff is usually lap times.  I am a little disappointed that Dunlop is in the same boat as the last time I was at DIS (2 years ago), but I still feel they offer the best overall product.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Gixxerblade

And to think they are going to do the 200 on the big bikes next year.

benprobst

Quote from: cardzilla on March 09, 2008, 01:02:59 PM
This is a R&D game we're in and it doesn't always work out.  I have raced almost exclusively on Dunlops for over a decade and I think they are the best overall tire available. 

Not trying to start shit, honest. Just curious.

I have always found this line of thought, well, questionable. I personally beleive the Michelins are the best tires in the industry, I believe that because I have raced or ridden every other brand of tires in the past two years. How do you arrive at the conclusion that Dunlop is the best when you havent ridden anything else for over a decade? What is that, 3-4 generations of evolution for all companies? Just asking, not insults intended, just wanted to hear your thoughts. If youve been racing for 10 years you obviously have been doing something right and Id like to hear your view point.

Ohh and sorry for the thread jack  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

cardzilla

Quote from: benprobst on March 09, 2008, 02:02:35 PM
Not trying to start shit, honest. Just curious.

I have always found this line of thought, well, questionable. I personally beleive the Michelins are the best tires in the industry, I believe that because I have raced or ridden every other brand of tires in the past two years. How do you arrive at the conclusion that Dunlop is the best when you havent ridden anything else for over a decade? What is that, 3-4 generations of evolution for all companies? Just asking, not insults intended, just wanted to hear your thoughts. If youve been racing for 10 years you obviously have been doing something right and Id like to hear your view point.

Ohh and sorry for the thread jack  :biggrin:

I guess that's a pretty fair question.  When I started I tried everything under the sun and went with the Dunlops.  I did try Pirelli when they came out and I'm currently trying some different Michelins.  In the early 90's it was pretty much either Dunlop or Michelin, I think these days Pirelli and B'stone have put themselves right up there.  There are so many variables involved in what makes someone go fast on one particular brand that you really can't say one brand is "best".  In that sense I guess you could say that a tire could be judged on its faults, which makes Dunlops problems at DIS all the worse.  I think they've overthought the whole thing because the best tire I ever used there wasn't even a DIS tire... go figure.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

JohnnyBlaze

Seth's Dunlop on the rear had about 1" diameter plugs missing about every 5" around the left center of his tire, he was on the new 211 N-tec Daytona compound. That was after only 5 laps. Scary! I've never had an issue with Dunlops, I ran the N-tec slicks last year.

kl3640

Quote from: JohnnyBlaze on March 31, 2008, 09:27:01 AM
Seth's Dunlop on the rear had about 1" diameter plugs missing about every 5" around the left center of his tire, he was on the new 211 N-tec Daytona compound. That was after only 5 laps. Scary! I've never had an issue with Dunlops, I ran the N-tec slicks last year.

Any pics?  I'm writing a letter to Dunlop and would like to send along any pics that anyone has of their 211 tire failures at March Daytona this year.