News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Best class for a semi-newb?

Started by vanillagorrilla, January 14, 2008, 03:13:57 PM

vanillagorrilla

I've been roadracing an cr85 up in Shawano with Northwoods GP for a few years now, and I'd like to move to the bigger tracks in 08.  I've narrowed it down to two choices: a crf450 motard in ULW superbike, or an sv650 in LW SS. 

Which class?  Which bike would be more competitive?  I assume the costs would be about the same, as the crf450 should be easier on tires, but will require much more frequent maintenance. 

Any thoughts?

truckstop

Depending on whether or not they schedule the classes the same as last year in the midwest, ULWSB and LWSS AM/EX all run at the same time because both classes are pretty small. Of course you're only running against the other riders in your class, but it still makes it fun. You'll have a hard time beating the Ducs in ULWSB on the motard, but you'll have a lot of fun on it at Blackhawk. Not so much fun at Road America. The SV in LWSS is probably more competitive. It's too bad they run the classes at the same time 'cos otherwise you could do both.

Either way, it's a great bunch of riders to race with.

wolf44

sv650, lots of people running them, lots of knowledge, spare parts floating around the pits, etc etc.  Although the CRF you'd be able to run supermoto in another series and possibly get more seat time
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

vanillagorrilla

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking.  There are sooo many more opportunities to ride the CRF.  Plus, I'm used to that goofy geomtery from roadracing my CR.

Still, the SV is more suited to roadracing (obviously).  As much as I love motards, it still is a dirtbike with 17's on it.

I have lines on 2 local bikes, one's an SV, the other is a CRF.  Same price.  Don't know what to do....

Super Dave

I really think the SV is always the bike everyone has to compare everything else too.  Even if you're racing a 750, a thousand, or a TZ.  The SV is probably the best.
Super Dave