News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

125cc Owner/Racers??????????????

Started by Ripper, February 26, 2003, 07:31:56 AM

Ripper

I was wondering if racing a 125cc would be the most affordable way to race? I guess I'm looking at tire changes here,which ends up being a portion of the seasonal costs.How many races/weekends do you get out of a pair of tires on 125 a race pace?  Also, what are the other expenses for owership, maintainance and such?

Thx, Ray
#627 ma

rs364

A 125GP bike is probably the most fun bike, but not  the cheapest.  YSR racing is the cheapest, you can buy a bike for about $1500. A set of tires will last 1-2 seasons and are $100 a set. It's fun, safe, cheap racing.   Racing a 125 you'll spend $260 a set of tires, which will last about 2 weekends. Engine maintenece is pretty involved too. New top end every 300 miles $100, new crank every 1200 miles $800, spark plug $40. You might want to look into a EX500, there inexpensive and the tires will probably last a whole season.

Ripper

rs, a 125 will eat up tires faster than an EX500?  Really, hows that possible?  Do you race a 125?

Ray

wera331

ray,what ended up happening with the fz you were looking at?

Litespeed

Tires on a 125 will last much longer than 2 weekends, I'm personally planning to change them out twice in a season.  The other maintenance factors do add up for the top-ends and cranks but overall cost for the year will be much less than a 600 or anything bigger.  I'm not sure how much the lightweight 4-stroke bikes would cost to run because they will be easy on tires also but I'm positive that you won't have nearly as much racing them as you would a 125.

Ripper

Hey, who are you,lt.wt29?  How do you know so much about me?  Do you work for big brother?  Should I terminate this transmission?

Anyway,still considering the fz,but as I see less and less funds availible for the track this year I thought the 125's were worth looking into.  I only had to use 2 sets of tires last season and did 6 race weekends and a couple of track days.  Thats, ~ 36 races plus a bunch of practice sessions and the trackdays, just about a full season on my GS.  But granted I was usually running mid pack, 1:30's at summit and 1:28'S at Loudon (bests).  

With the 125's being so light I thought you can maybe get a full season out of the tire.  But I maybe totally off the mark, if you consider heat cycles.  I've heard peole say that you can only count on ~ five heat cycles. I must have gotten 20 or more on a set.  Is it possible that (1) lightweights have a real hard time getting the tires up to temp., (2) spint races are so short, (3)  the times I'm running(not that fast), (4) ignorance, (5) way lucky, (6) a combination of all of the above.

Ray (still a freakin' amature) #627 ma

wera331

we were pitted near each other in the rain at summit last year. I have  a fz I'm racing.

Ripper

Oh, ok, no first names.  Is that how this works?  Thanks for fueling my inert sense of paranoia, give me a clue does your name start with a "C".

So, how'd you find tire wear on 'your bike?  Did you run slicks all year?

'R' (co-pilot of the black silent helicopters) hush-hush

wera331

sorry about that, I'm chris I was pitted near you at summit in the rain.my bike did great tire wear was very minimal I only did 2 races a weekend so they lasted a long time.I did use slicks most of the time this year I'm trying michelins I didn't care much for the dunlops, they slid around alittle much for me.

p9

Can someone tell me what classes the 125 fits in/is legal for ccs, and will ccs be running the GT races on saturday. Thank you,
George

Dawn

QuoteCan someone tell me what classes the 125 fits in/is legal for ccs, and will ccs be running the GT races on saturday. Thank you,
George

George:

Here is the link for the rule book.  It should answer your questions.

http://www.ccsracing.com/pdf/03FUSA_RoadRaceRules.pdf

Dawn   :)

spyderchick

Dawn's usin' a proxy server! You're hardcore now!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".