any one here race a zx9r?

Started by jgf, February 23, 2003, 05:25:26 PM

jgf

i know thats far fetch ::)

but i am looking to change the shift pattern to gp style. is it even possible? if you flip the shift boss you have to cut the sprocket cover. no big deal cut it, then it raises the shift arm into the meaty part of the frame and doesnt allow the shift boss?? to sit fully on the drum. so any suggestions?

DanO966

Jim,

I would say get a shift arm off of a R6.  Connect that to the shift shaft.  It's longer then the stock kaw arm.  You can bend it out a bit to clear the sprocket cover.  Only thing, you need to get a different ball joint(end) for it.  The yamaha one has left hand threads and the Kawasaki shift linkage shaft has right-hand threads.  But that should work.  That's what I'm gonna do on my 636.   ;)
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

jgf

dan nothing will clear that sprocket cover, it would have to be 3/4inches longer then the kawi unit? ive heard the vfr one will work. is the sprocket cover necessary anyhow?

DanO966

opps you're right I forgot that the shift shaft is WAY under the cover.  Well you can just take off the cover but I think your speed sensor is in the cover.  So you'll lose your speedo...you don't want to do that, do you?
You can cut the cover so the arm will clear it but it may hit the sprocket and or chain.  
Or you can just cough up the money and get a set of rear sets that will allow for GP shifting.  ( the arm comes off of the opposite side of the shift arm then the stock one.)
Woodcraft makes them p/n 05-0100B 329.99 for them.  
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

jgf

well i called all of them and they said that you cant gp shift there rear sets for the 9??? I was a little dumbfounded by there lack of product knoweledge so i figured i would find my own way. I cut the sprocket cover already worked nicely now i just need to find a arm that is longer so it will clear the frame, can you check the length on the r6 tomorrow and let me know. the kawi's offset is 1/2 inch i think i can get away with a 1/4inch more

DanO966

Call me at my shop tomorrow.  I got a R6 arm on my desk I can spec out for you.   :)
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

zx9r-racer

Quote.... 
Or you can just cough up the money and get a set of rear sets that will allow for GP shifting.  ( the arm comes off of the opposite side of the shift arm then the stock one.)
Woodcraft makes them p/n 05-0100B 329.99 for them.  

Yep.  Get the Woodcrafts.  Schweet! ;D

Super Dave

You're timing might be a problem at Woodcraft.  Eric raced Kawasaki supported ZX9R a few years ago.  But I know he was leaving for Daytona.

And cutting the sprocket cover was what we did on the ZX6R's, then add Eric's rear sets.  Simple as that.  I comes with the necessary rod.
Super Dave

GRN_MACH

I tried dropping the cover and flipping the boss and it works fine.